Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

JL W7

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Default RE: JL W7

the JL 1000/1 amp is ok to use with the 13W7?..

Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM

I used to be the type to hate sealed and loved ported. I'm more the opposite now. Yes, with a ported enclosure you will have more output (get louder), but I find a sealed enclosure to be better. For one, you aren't limited to specific frequencies, as long as your driver is capable of playing that low. With a ported enclosure, you are limited to its tuning frequency, for example: say the box is tuned to 33 Hz, you would have to set the Sub Sonic Filter (SSF) on the amp to 33 Hz. Playing too low of a frequency will destroy the sub in a ported enclosure.

With a sealed enclosure you don't have the same output, but you have better power handling, music is smoother (and cleaner IMO), not as boomy, and doesn't need to be as large as a ported box. Bandpass is a mixture of sealed and ported. I dont like using them because they peak at a certain frequency and just drop after that, so your mids would have to pick up where those frequencies leave off, which some mids won't.

And yes the JL 1000/1 will work with the 13W7

Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 AM

awesome. i'll just get the JL wedge box that they make. its sealed.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: donpisto

I used to be the type to hate sealed and loved ported. I'm more the opposite now. Yes, with a ported enclosure you will have more output (get louder), but I find a sealed enclosure to be better. For one, you aren't limited to specific frequencies, as long as your driver is capable of playing that low. With a ported enclosure, you are limited to its tuning frequency, for example: say the box is tuned to 33 Hz, you would have to set the Sub Sonic Filter (SSF) on the amp to 33 Hz. Playing too low of a frequency will destroy the sub in a ported enclosure.

With a sealed enclosure you don't have the same output, but you have better power handling, music is smoother (and cleaner IMO), not as boomy, and doesn't need to be as large as a ported box. Bandpass is a mixture of sealed and ported. I dont like using them because they peak at a certain frequency and just drop after that, so your mids would have to pick up where those frequencies leave off, which some mids won't.

And yes the JL 1000/1 will work with the 13W7
x2

Ported boxes are louder and sealed sound better and bandpass, well they tend to suck.

Also, in a ported box, the port itself is whats making the sound. So would you rather listen to the $500 sub you just bought or the $2 piece of PVC pipe?

Plus the response of a ported box isnt very flat and rolls off drastically below the frequency its tuned for.

Not to say ported boxes suck. If youre wanting the maximum amount of output possible then ported is definitely worth a look but if youre wanting the best SQ, then sealed is the only way to go.....of IB but thats another story.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: MacLeod

Not to say ported boxes suck. If youre wanting the maximum amount of output possible then ported is definitely worth a look but if youre wanting the best SQ, then sealed is the only way to go.....of IB but thats another story.
Are you saying IB has better SQ than a sealed box? I've never heard a sub mounted in an infinite baffle.

I also used to be a fan of ported boxes, but now I would never build a ported box again. That W7 is begging for a sealed enclosure. The only W7 I have heard is the 13" running off I forget which amp in a sealed box, truly blew me away.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

Are you saying IB has better SQ than a sealed box? I've never heard a sub mounted in an infinite baffle.

I also used to be a fan of ported boxes, but now I would never build a ported box again. That W7 is begging for a sealed enclosure. The only W7 I have heard is the 13" running off I forget which amp in a sealed box, truly blew me away.
Infinite Baffle is designed to be used with IB made subs. It is not recommended for any sub. I would compare the sound of IB to the sound of a ported box (IMO).

Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 PM

i found this nice deal on ebay yesterday. JL 13W7 with a JL 1000/1. all for $850. i just need to be the sealed wedge box that JL makes. im hype

Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 PM

I've heard a couple vehicles with an IB setup, sounded great. I haven't really listened to compare SQ wise what is better and honestly, it would probably be a better test to actually test with the same vehicle and same setup. With an IB setup, you can get lower and the more trunk space you have the better. Opening the trunk would actually be better as well, but unfortunately you can't drive like that lol.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: tru_44

Infinite Baffle is designed to be used with IB made subs. It is not recommended for any sub. I would compare the sound of IB to the sound of a ported box (IMO).
I heard a pair of ID Max's in a Camry and 3 ID Max's in an '00 Accord Coupe. Neither sounded like a ported enclosure, they were much smoother and were not peaky like ported enclosures. Best benefit of IB is needing only half the recommended power Worst part of it, is making sure EVERYTHING is sealed so there is no cancellation due to front waves and back waves mixing.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: tnguyen600

i found this nice deal on ebay yesterday. JL 13W7 with a JL 1000/1. all for $850. i just need to be the sealed wedge box that JL makes. im hype
IMO, that's expensive. I wouldn't spend a grand on that sub and that amp. Look into the Soundsplinter RL-p. www.soundsplinter.com. I've met the owner in person since he lives close to me and I bought my 18" sub off him. They sound amazing and can get loud. They state 1,200w rms rating or something like that but I was going to run about 2,000w to it. Apparently the one I bought had a dead coil which I found out when I was going to sell to someone so I was running the sub off one coil the entire time, thus receving a full 2,000w on that single coil. It got damn loud and got low in a 5 cu. ft. sealed enclosure. A pair of 12's or a single 15 would be great for you, (or even a single 12). A friend of mine has 2 12's in a Camry off a JBL 1200.1 and it gets quite loud. He plans to upgrade so that each sub has its own amp rather than share.

That sub will cost around 250 or so brand new. An amp that does 1,200 - 1,500w can be had for around 300 new or for about 400-500 you can get a 2,000w amp. Stick with a sealed enclosure and build it yourself, or find someone who can. It costs about $60 to build a sealed box (includes wood, nails, glue). You can use a jigsaw but a circular saw would better and a table saw would be best. Very simple to construct.