Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

JL W7

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Default RE: JL W7

Pretty much any sub can be used IB. The key is to make sure the front cone is totally sealed off from the back cone.

Subs ran IB generally have the flattest response of the other applications. Nothing like a ported box which has a huge response hump at a certain frequency.

The downside to IB setups is that they cant handle near as much power as in a sealed box and so its easier to fry one.

I prefer the sealed box because the response is pretty close to that of an IB setup but the sub can handle much more power and is under more control and I like that. Just as many cars have won SQ competitions with IB as have with sealed so I dont think there really is a "best" setup between the two. It all depends on the installer/tuner.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:44 PM

I thought with an IB setup, a certain Q in the t/s parameters is required.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 PM

Qts = Qtc for IB. You can use a driver with a medium to high Qts (~0.5 to 0.8), low Fs (lower than about 28hz).(Qts of .5 or more is basically a rule of thumb).Anything with a lower Qts than .5 but also a good low Fs would work, but it all depends on the the setup/install.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 PM

Hmmm, makes me really curious about attempting to try and go IB. But not sure how well an 18 will fit, especially with the deep basket and wide motor my sub has. Qts on it is 0.151 and it has an Fs of 18 Hz....gonna get the sub reconed since the sub is suffering coil rock, so I'll be getting a flatwound coil, probably bring the Fs down a bit more.