Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

My Rear Speakers Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Question My Rear Speakers Don't Work

I have a used 1999 Accord. Ever since I have owned the vehicle the rear speakers haven't worked. I am looking to overhaul my audio anyways but I'd like to know if the problem is with the wiring or the units themselves. Any amount of guidance to what (and how) to check for would be much appreciated.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

I would take a look at the wiring from in the trunk. Maybe a stereo system was installed in the trunk and those wires were cut.

I don't know how the signal is generated to the speakers. I know the speakers are directly wired directly to the audio unit if you have an OEM setup.

There is also a forum for audio that you can ask this question, but try a search first.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

are you wanting to fix the speakers before you overhaul the system? or are you just wanting to fix it when you overhaul it?

if you just want it fixed after you overhaul it, I wouldnt worry too much about what is not causing it to work right now, because when you put in the amp you will be running all new wires anyways.

if you are trying to figure out why they are not working right now, first do as stated:
check for cut wires. then check and see that you are getting signal at the speakers. you can do this either with a dmm or another speaker. if you are and they arent working it is the speakers. if not then start tracing the wire back looking for a short or break. if you want to you can check at the HU and make sure a signal is being sent out. if it is sent out and not getting to the end then there is a problem in the wire. if it is not being sent out at all it is a problem in the head unit.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

agreed, check the speakers first - those wires can be snagged, or cut to feed high level inputs on an amp.

also, make sure fader is centered.