Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need help upgrading my 07 factory audio sys

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:35 PM
rookiebot
Unregistered

Looks like im fixed on Type R Speakers - worst case Rockford P2 Subs (They seem to come with good enclosures). for the amp part it looks like i've to wait for 3weeks to get hold of PDX5 - i checked atleast half a dozen shops - no-one has stock, even yellow hat - all have PDX4.

Now in this scenario should I go for an MRP-F600 have it run on 3-channel (2Front+1Sub) .. while I wonder over purchasing another mono-amp. Now that I realise if I go high on wattage I might need to add a capacitor .. which I'm not too happy about.

Another funny qs - the the crossovers for the type R tweeters - where do u fix them normally?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you really want a 5ch amp, just wait for the PDX it will be worthwhile to you. The MRP-F600 is a regular A/B switching amp, the PDX is fully digital and is much more efficient and produces relatively no heat. Don't rush into to something just because you have to wait a couple weeks. The PDX amp will be much more worthwhile in the long run, especially if you are so set on running a single 5ch amp.

Also don't choose a sub just because comes with a "good" enclosure. I've never seen a mas produced enclosure that lasts. If you want a good box that isn't going to come apart you've gotta build it yourself, or at least order one that is not mass produced, but even these boxes are not built perfectly. It takes time to build a box right, and when you rush the process the outcome is no good. Especially don't go with a cheaper RF sub just because it comes with a box. Even the top of the line RF subs are more about SPL than SQ. And you seem to care more about quality than output, so I would stay away from the RF subs.

As for where to install the crossovers anywhere but inside the door panel is good. There is usually a good amount of moisture behind the door panel, so it's best to keep the crossover out of that environment. Also where your going to mount your tweeters will give you a better idea of where they should go. Mounting the tweeters at ear level on the a-pillars tend to be a good choice, but different tweeters produce a different image in different locations. So I would really recommend temporarily sticking them to different spots and see what sounds best. You could even mount them in the stock location if you care more about ease of installation than perfect imaging. I have just heard in the stock location, female vocals and other sounds will shift the sound stage.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 PM
rookiebot
Unregistered

so thats TypeR Front & type R Subs. Tweeters in the stock position. That leaves me with this final decision point wait - for a month for a PDX5(75Wx4+300Wx1) or go for an MRPF600(100Wx4) + MRPM500(500Wx1). Both stretch my amp budget to 550$ & I dont want to go above that. So I gotta decide.

Some things I dint realise earlier:
1) type R subs rated 500W - how will this do with the PDX5 rated at 300W?
2) is ita rule of thumb that if I go above 1000Watts I should put in a capacitor?
3) Is it ok to use the stock speaker wiring - or should I entirely rewire the speakers with some quality cabling? I dont want rip apart everything on my car unless its necessary.

Last edited by rookiebot; 07-01-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

500w will really bring out the best in the type-r, but 300w will work. It may not be as loud or as clear. A sub can get muddy when underpowered, but 300w isn't too underpowered. The PDX5 will putout a true 300w and a bit more.

Forget about capacitors, unless you have a competition level bass system a cap is more of a band aid than a fix for keep the voltage nice and stable. Even though your system will still be relatively low powered, it would help to the big three upgrade. Which is replacing the stock wires from the alt, and engine and battery ground, just google big three upgrade. It's pretty much the same for any car.

Yes you should definitely run your own wires, the stock speaker wires are not good enough, and will force you to make longer runs. Your speakers won't get all the power they can get if you don't run your own speaker wires.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:04 AM
rookiebot
Unregistered

Finally after one accident & 30days waiting period for the pdx5 i finally changed my car audio. thanks to all you guys for helping me decide. (I had no clue what to put when i started .. lolz). This is my setup:

Alpine iDAX100 - HU
Alpine R Type SPR17S
Alpine R Type SPR69C
RockFord Fosgate Punch P2D412 [250W]
Alpine PDX5 [75Wx4 + 300Wx1]

It sounds amazing!!! ....

Btw - ideally what should be the gain levels for front & rear - should it be the same or the rear more than front?