Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

new speakers/head unit questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Default RE: new speakers/head unit questions.

ORIGINAL: henrynj

there's some good info posted in this thread, but my questions still havent been answered.

i understand, if i replace speakers, i should replace the head unit.

BUT.

where will i be able to view my climate controls, if i replace my head unit?
AND
i dont want to lose the 6 disc changer feature, is this part of the car, or part of the head unit itself?
You have 2 choices for replacing the head unit.

1 is this piece from Metra that replaces the whole HVAC control panel and leaves a spot for you to mount an aftermarket HU. I dont recommend it. For one, the build quality seems to be a little shoddy and Ive heard the controls dont always work right. Plus its $150.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dYOhRyN...mp;I=120997864

The option that I took was this kit that replaces the storage bin under the HVAC controls.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dYOhRyN...mp;I=120997862

Now if youre wanting to keep your CD changer, steering wheel controls and all that, then youhave to keep the stock head unit.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:32 AM

agreed...if you want the cd change, and steering wheel controls keep the stock hu. You also are able to replace the factory speakers without replacing the stock hu, but you are right that it is a natural progression that if you replace your factory speakers you SHOULD but DON'T have to replace the factory hu. Your stereo will only sound as good as the worst piece and after you replace your factory speakers the factory hu will be the worst. You will notice a difference in the quality of the sound after raplacing the speakers and you will notice it even more after you replace your hu...with this said and from listening to you I would replace your speakers and wait till you either have the money to do what you want to the rest of the stereo or until there is a better option out there to keep the factory controls and not the factory radio.......hope this helps ya

Old 03-21-2007, 11:49 PM

thanks for the info fellas,
so, im cruising ebay and run across two differnt Cleansweeps:
Cleansweep CL441DSP
JL Audio Cleansweep CL-SES Source Switch for CL441DSP
is the first CS the one you are referring to for using to help make the head better (for lack of a better term)

Old 03-22-2007, 04:20 AM

The Cleansweep CL441DSP...
Here are some good links (one from JL Audio, the other was the first match from Google).
http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/19995.html
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=79

Old 03-22-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks again.
So, this thing flattens out the signal, and makes the signal clean too. Also, it seems to boost the volts as well. Does that make for a cleaner sound and a reduction of noise from the system?

Another question, how will I know if I need one? Excessive whine/noise coming through the speakers? Im not looking for show quality sound, but I wont and cant stand too much noise from the system.

Thanks again

Old 03-23-2007, 01:03 AM

The higher volts just gets the signal above the noise floor.

There will always be an underlying noise or hiss in any signal unless its a digital one. The trick is getting the signal to noise ratio high enough that the noise will be so quiet in relation to the music that youd have to turn it up so loud that it would blow your eardrums out just to hear it and even then you wouldnt because the music will be so loud.

Problem is when you use speaker level inputs, the signal to noise ratio drops from a nice and quiet 100+ db down to a noise 75 or so db. This means that the noise or hiss is loud enough that youll be ableto hear it while youre listening to music.

You wont get a whine from this. This would come from improper installation etc. The only noise youd get from this method is the hiss.