Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Newb to audio systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Default RE: Newb to audio systems

well..... i wouldent go 15's or even 1 15 for that matter, stick to 10's or 12's. i mean the deep notes isnt going to be that knoticeable of a difference, so id almost say 2 10" cuz right when you said double bass, man if you wanna make that **** sound good 10's. its really up to you at this point.

600 bucks for headunit, door speakers, and sub/amp/box? or what do u want to get for 600 bucks, i can put togher some systems.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

My Kicker 10" is pretty versatile. I just change the EQ settings on my head unit depending on what kind of music I listen to. I turn up the bass for the rap, and I turn it down a little so it stays tight on the metal and rock. The sub handles all my music very well. I dont know about going with two subs of different sizes in the same car, I have never heard it, so I couldnt tell you if it works well or not. I would recommend this, though: since you have a budget to stick to, do your system gradually. Its better to do it piece by piece than buy crap off of eBay that is going to blow out in three months or just sound plain bad. I did my head unit, amp, and sub about a week after I got my car, four years ago, and I didnt put new 6x9s in it till about a year and a half ago. I still have another amp I want to put in, but Im waiting until I get the extra $$ for some new front speakers to do at the same time.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: TheBackRoads

well..... i wouldent go 15's or even 1 15 for that matter, stick to 10's or 12's. i mean the deep notes isnt going to be that noticeable of a difference,
Now that is not true at all, my 15s hit the lows very very hard. So hard your teeth rattle in a suburban 12 feet away from the subs. I have heard a lot of my friends 12s in trucks and cars, they all hit the high to mid bass, which are more common in most songs, but they don't hit the lows AT ALL like my 15s. The only 12s I have heard that hit as well as mine were two 12" kicker L7s. All that said, no I don't recommend 15s, unless you want the deep head pounding bass. 15s are slower then 12s so they don't hit higher bass as hard. Bass in metal and rock, which is what most of you seem to listen to, have mostly high bass. Also in an accord, I think the 15s are going to rattle the **** out of it. So I think you should go no larger then 12s, unless you want that super bass.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:59 PM

true, very true t00fatt. The reason i said that is because in my experiences 90% percent of my friends cant tell the difference between the 3, nor can they tell a difference in sound quality between 10 dollar walmart subs and 300 dollar subs. thats why i said that because you and i are somewhat audiophiles, we can tell the difference.

The L5's and L7's are fricken loud, and do hit the lows because of the square design a 12" hits like a 15 due to the surface area.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sounds good....As far as budget goes, I'd like to spend no more than 600 on everything, at this point at least. However, I just heard from a friend that one of his friends has two amps and two 12's already in a box that he needs to get rid of for a really good price, so I might end up checking that out and going that route.

I'm not a huge audiophile, but I know when something sounds like $10 and when I'm hearing really top-notch quality product. I was actually looking at these, and if the deal above doesn't work out, since everyone has either straight out recommended or insinuated torwards kickers, I might get those. By the way, has anyone ever dealt with this company before? I'd prefer to get stuff new, because I like warrenties, so if ocs isn't a reputable retailer, point me in the right direction! Thanks again for all the help everyone

Old 11-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Those subs are great, and exactly what I have in 15". $300 is a bit much though, I got both my subs for $200, then built a box for $20. Whats good about dual coil 4omhs subs, you can wire the coils in parallel and have each subs running at 2ohms. As opposed to the more expensive 2ohm subs, you can wire them in parallel and get 1ohm(which most cheaper amps can't handle), or 4 ohms in series. Don't get scared by what I am saying, its very simple and in the manual for the subs.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 AM

those are awsome subs, and you will not be disspointed.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Maybe you should just put the amp and subs in now, leave the speakers stock til you can afford to upgrade them. Just a suggestion.

When I first put my system in, it was about $250 for the deck, $125 for the sub, and $75 for installation. I already had an amp that I had bought about a year earlier off of eBay for $225, and a sub box that my brother made me in his high school shop class lol. Since you are on a budget, you should really check eBay for some good deals.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:32 AM

i just picked up a 12" Kicker CVR for my Jeep with a box from a buddy, and thats how a subwoofer should sound!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/6114/AE7536CCCA704F63BCF2143EF599622D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6114/E6795B6113D241A9BE0FB55DB2217A6A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2006, 11:32 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

You arent running the Kicker like that, are you? One sub in a two sub box?

Quick Reply: Newb to audio systems