Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Peel & Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Peel & Seal?

Has anyone ever tried peel and seal for a sound deadener? I have heard mixed reviews about it but people have said it does work. Not looking to spend hundreds on dynamat.

Shop Peel & Seal 6" x 25' Mastic Roof Coating at Lowes.com

Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I suspect it will work to some extent. Where do you place it besides the wheel wells? Probably need to clean wheel wells and other places w/ water blaster before applying.

If in northern area, corrosion under wrap may be a problem if you coat body steel.

good luck

Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I suspect it will work to some extent. Where do you place it besides the wheel wells? Probably need to clean wheel wells and other places w/ water blaster before applying.

If in northern area, corrosion under wrap may be a problem if you coat body steel.

good luck
Doing it for my subs actually. Getting a lot of vibration in the trunk and where my rear speakers are.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM

NO! Not worth it by a long shot. I tried it once several years ago looking for a cheap alternative to Dynamat and the smell of asphalt nearly killed me. This stuff is made to be used on a roof, not in a car.

Dynamat is more expensive but the stuff is the best. It wont asphyxiate you, it wont peel off after a year or two and its very dense so a little goes a long way. You dont have to cover the entire area with it. You can use it in spots and itll work very well. Think of it like the bell youd ring for service at a motel. If you ring the bell, itll ring for a long time. If you just touch the bell with one finger and ring it, itll go CLUNK. Same thing here. You dont have to cover your entire rear deck in Dynamat to get it to stop resonance - just a good sized chunk used here and there can do a lot too.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

No asphalt products in a car. They do not belong there. Their fumes have carcinogens. They aren't even rated to be in a building.

You can get cheap butyl products that have some benefits. But they may not provide actual damping which requires viscoelastic and elastomeric properties.