Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

ported boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ported boxes?

Glad to help man

Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM

so i redid all the grounds and that noise is still there when the gains are turned up on the line out converter. what i have noticed is it tends to go in and out when i adjust the bass eq on my stock HU

Old 01-21-2009, 04:36 PM

The whine is coming from the speakers right? The LOC could be causing the whine if it's crappy. I would try using a ground loop isolator and see if that helps, sounds like that is what's going to fix it. A ground loop isolator is more of a band aid than a fix, somthing in your setup is cuasing the whine but the isolator should get rid of it.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM

yeah i'm going to assume the stock HU is causing it, i plan on getting a pretty nice pioneer one in a month or so or would you recommend a different one?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Do you mean that high pitched whine the the CD player makes? I remember when I had the stock HU there was a quite constant whine from the stock HU. Does the whine get louder with RPMs? If not then it's not alternator whine which is what I assumed you were talking about. And is just noise from the crappy OEM HU.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Well damn, ha yeah then its definitely the crappy HU, i spose i can live with it for now until i get that new head unit. anywho thanks man. would you recommend any specific HU that plays DVD's by the way? i was looking at pioneer and it seemed to be my best bet but i assume you'd probably knowmore about that.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 PM

I don't have one but I'm in love with the Avic-3z. The navigation voice control is just so sweet, and it has a 10gb HDD built in. It all depends on your price range though. I'm not extremely familiar with these HUs as I've never owned nor really looked into them. They are out of my price range lol. I like my HU because the sound quality really is great for how cheap it was, and I need an indash to control my ipod.

EDIT: Oh and just to confirm, the whine does not go up with the RPMs and is constant right?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 PM

ha yeah i fell in love with that pioneer instantly, or the alpine IVA-W505/P1. but mine would be more of a 400-600 range. plus i'm trying to balance the price of that with a sound processor to get a higher voltage output on the rcas kuz 2volts ain't gonna do it for me.

and yep totally constant.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Yeah I hear you on that. I want a new HU I just don't feel comfortable investing money in a HU. I live in miami and I can't afford for that to get stolen. I put lock nuts behind the screws I could on my speakers, and have my amps screwed down. I wanted to bolt my amp down through the floor but couldn't. I've never been able to think of a good way to slow down the removal process of a HU without going crazy.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt
... I'm running two a/b amps which isn't the best thing to do...

Why is this? I havent looked up the manual for the Kenwood yet, but I assume that its A/B. My Phoenix Gold is A.

My new Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT should arrive today!!!!

Quick Reply: ported boxes?