Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

ported boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ported boxes?

Well as I'm sure you know A/B switching amps are not *** efficient as a D class, but D classes struggle with high frequency. That's why they are usually mono blocks, but they have been making digital full range amps for a while. Running multiple amps like I am is less efficient than running one large amp. Each amp has a power supply, and the more power supplies the more energy your wasting. It's really not that significant but it is there. At the speakers there is no difference, I'm just running a slightly higher load because of the multiple amps.

And yes that kenwood amp is an A/B, full range D classes are still $400- $500 plus. A/Bs are not bad amps, they are the norm just D classes are 25% more efficient and produce less heat. In 5-10 years, every amp will be D class, well every good amp that is.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 PM

so when i was told i should use two mono amps, one to power each sub. would that be less efficient than the rockford fosgate i'm using now?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Well not necessarily, mono blocks are digital which makes them efficient. If the mono block can support 1ohm then yes it would be better than two. But two 2ohm amps are better then two drivers running off a single 2ohm mono block at 4ohms. Unless your sub is a 1ohm which I don't even know of a sub off the top of my head that is 1 ohm. Did that make sense at all lol?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:17 PM

hahah i know the guy told me rockford fosgate SAYS that amp can run at 1 ohm but he's never seen it do that, and has been to scared to mess with a customers to see if it would. usually when they start messing with the settings right off the bat they've popped the subs.

how do you change the settings on an amp to have it operate at 1 ohm? or is that even possible.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:27 PM

You don't change any setting, unlike home audio amps. Every amp has a minimum load it can support, most are 2ohms and some are 1ohm. An amp only capable of running 2 ohms can run a 1 ohm load but will get extremely hot and will bun out with time. Only top dollar amps support 1ohm.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 PM

well rockford fosgate advertises it being able to run at one ohm so idk

Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 PM

How much is this amp? Link? RF used to be good years ago, but now their quality is sub par. If it says it's rated for 1 ohm then it's rated for 1 ohm. Who knows how long it will last though.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:46 PM

It is $650 retail but i got it for $300 being a best buy employee.

Heres the link

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Personally I wouldn't trust that amp, but $300 is not bad for 1000w. What other amps can you get from best buy? Running two amps is not a big deal. I did not mean to make it seem like running two amps is horrible. The output is the same, just a very slight increase on the electrical load.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 PM

basically i ended up with that amp because they didn't have the 500 watt alpines in stock nor did they know when they would get them in next. but i'm not working there anymore until maybe february. and i was in a hurry to get as much out of them as i could before my discount ran out. so your thinking that amp is going to quit on me pretty soon? my uncle says he has two 600watt precision audio amps but that'd be over powering my subs :/

Quick Reply: ported boxes?