Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

ported boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ported boxes?

Wait did you set the sub amp to high pass and it still played bass? That's not how the HP and LP work. High pass is for speakers when you want to eliminate the bass, and LP is for a sub when you want to eliminate the highs. Set it back to low pass and set it at 80hz to 90hz. Playing frequencies way above the range of the sub can damage it.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 PM

no i set the speaker amp to high pass and it somehow cleaned up the bass coming from the subs.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 PM

Hmmm I don't see how that could affect the sub's signal. Well with a sub it is good to set your speakers on an HP. I have my speakers crossed at 60hz, I think the right way is to cross them at the same place with the subs. But I like a little bass to come from the speakers when I turn my sub down. To each his own I guess. lol

Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 PM

they've got the crossover set pretty high on the speakers like 125 hz.

but about the sub getting affected by me setting the speaker amp to HP i couldn't tell you. they do have a little blue cable running from the remote port on the speaker amp to the remote port on the sub amp???

Old 01-25-2009, 11:20 PM

Are they both the same brand and model just different power? I've never seen that, but I'm not familiar with every setup, so it could very well be something I just don't know about. Honestly I would disconnect that, and set them up the way you would normally, especially since they are being used for opposite applications. If they were both for subs or speakers, then maybe it would be good to connect them with that cable. That cable may be syncing the gains or something, I can only guess.

Also 125hz is a bit high, but not a bad thing to do until the speakers break in. But once they are nice and soft I would drop it down to where you have your sub crossed at.

EDIT: Also all the remotes I have seen for amps is just a control for the bass boost or with more advanced amps you have a few more controls, but I don't see how connecting two amps like that would allow communication between the amps. Let me know what amps they are and I will look it up.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 PM

Ones and Alpine MRP-F300 and the other is a Rockford Fosgate P1000-1bd.

on the right side where it says REM thats what the blue cable is going too

then on the alpine there on the right where it says remote. those two ports are being connected

Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM

That's just the power on signal wire, there is a relay inside the amp. That wire is what tells the amp to turn on. Sorry for my confusion I should have realized that right away, I'm a bit out of it today lol.

EDIT: There is an additional wire connected to one of the REMs on one of the amps right? Or is there only one wire connecting both the amps?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 PM

well i may have found the problem behind my set up hahah, i'll go ahead and disconnect it tomorrow and see if it changes anything but if not i'll take pictures and post them.

and as far as the kappa63.9I's go, would three weeks be a good break in time?

EDIT: there just one wire connecting them i don't actually have a remote dial or anything.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 PM

Depends on how much you use them. They are stiff when new, and very soft when broken in. I would say after 10-20 hours they should be broken in. Your speakers are crossed high so it may take you a while.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 PM

there just one wire connecting them i don't actually have a remote dial or anything.

Quick Reply: ported boxes?