Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

ported boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ported boxes?

Ok so there is literally only wire connected at both amps? That's doesn't make sense, as you need a 12v signal to turn the amp on. Just connecting the amps won't do that. But connecting the remote on from the HU to amp A you can them connect amp A to amp B from the same terminal with another wire.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:48 PM

so the install guy is a ****ing retard and i need to get that wire the hell out?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:58 PM

No you probably just aren't remembering seeing the second wire on one of the amps. That terminal needs to get 12v or the amp won't even turn on. That is the wire that connects to the headunit that tells it to turn on, if it was wasn't connected they wouldn't be working at all.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 AM

i could SWEAR theres not another one there, my amps are one even when the headunit is off though. my headunit is stock if that has anything to do with it

Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 AM

But the amps are off when the car is off right? Are the amps right next to each other, like can you see the entire wire the connects them both? If not then there is a connection you don't see. Either way if your amps turn on and off with car, that wire is correct for the stock HU.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 AM

okay then yeah, i can see both the amps they're attached to the box so very visable and easy to access by putting my back seat down. so then you'd still have no idea why the HP filter on the speaker amp would affect the sub amp?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 AM

How sure are you that it affected the sub? What did you do? And how did it affect it? You can't be too specific.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 AM

okay lets see, the bass is loud and harsh sounding then i flipped on the HP filter on channels 1/2 and channels 3/4 and boom it wasn't as booming i'd say. like alot of the bass had been taken out of the bass. idk its hard to explain in depth without you having heard it prior

Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 AM

Well if the sub was sounding like that you should turn you gains down, or if your gains are low turn down the bass boost. If that is gone I don't really know what to say, and I don't understand how the alpine could affect the RF amp. Are your sure it was right after or do you think? Could be something else.

EDIT: Harsh sounds like slipping to me, are the gains real high on the LOC? I only used one for a few weeks before I swapped out my HU, but I remember I remember the gains were set to about 1/8th of a turn, and on the amp 1/4 of a turn. If the LOC is turned up real high it can probably cause distortion which can damage the sub, or push the amp to hard and cause clipping.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 AM

as soon as i flipped on the filters

Quick Reply: ported boxes?