Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

ported boxes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ported boxes?

What subs are you running again? Type-rs? If so the type-Rs will take the extra 100w just fine. If I were in your shoes I'd go with the power acoustics. You need to run a sealed if your going to drive them with 600w.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 PM

you mean precision audio? i think i'm getting the name right. since i already have one sub amp wire running to the trunk would i need to run another? would that also require a distribution block of some sort?

EDIT: Correction, Precision Power, but they might be 4 channel. he apparently has boxes full of car audio stuff i'll probably talk to him tomorrow. though i've read as many reviews i can find online and people seem to be pretty happy with this amp.

and from what i've read, this amp and two subs are a perfect match for eachother, this was of course on the rockford fosgate discussions. however, it is said this amp does 1200watts rms

Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM

Yeah never mind about your uncles amps lol. If you already got the RF amp I would go ahead and use it. How many ohms are your subs? You may not even be running a 1ohm load.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 AM

i believe they are both (4ohm+4ohm) subs

Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Lol I'm sorry I should have asked that at first, my mistake. Then you will only be running a 2 ohm load with those subs wired in parallel. So you will be just fine with that amp.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:58 AM

haha no worries, and i don't know how much you know about RF amps but as far as settings go with the gain and the punch eq dial and frequency dial. might you be able to think of any settings you would recommend on each of those? because it doesn't seem as the the bass always fills the whole car as it should, of course they've only been running a few weeks now so they aren't entirely broken in but it just seems as though the bass is very bland and "poppy" i guess is how i'd describe it just when the volume is on 20. ALSO ha what do you think about these sound processors by JL audio that make your factory head unit sound like it should. i was watching a video on crutchfield and they were demoing it. heres a link... CleanSweep

Old 01-23-2009, 12:43 PM

I've never used or seen a cleansweep but I hear good things. One of our members has one installed, I forget who though. Are you running the RF amp already? And what do you mean poppy? Your amp could be clipping. I really don't think you like the sound of 10"s from what you keep saying. 10"s sound a bit bland to me too, I like I little boom with my bass. As for the settings:

Gain- I usually don't go past a quarter turn, but you may need to go higher with the LOCs.

Bass boost (EQ)- I set mine to the maxium, if you want to be safe back it off a bit.

x-over frequency- start at 80hz and move up to about 90hz or 95hz.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 PM

well i listen to alot of rock and i've got all that lineout crap up under the HU making my audio in general sound not so desirable. i just have to mess with the EQ on the HU constantly. i'm looking into the RF 3SIXTY.2. my mom has a friend she went to highschool with who has a huge car audio place in irving, tx so i might be going out there tomorrow to have him just take a look at everything.

and yeah i'm running the RF amp already. i'm just afraid to change the settings since i've only had this installed since the thirteenth and the install guy at best buy told me he set the amp gain all the way down so i wouldn't be risking popping the amps.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM

I wouldn't judge your system to much until you get the cleansweep or loose the stock HU altogether.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 PM

yeah i figure it should be that way, i mean having mostly high end stuff i can't imagine i wont like the sound THAT much. i just noticed today i can hear cds moving around in the cdchanger through my speakers haha.

anyways,

1.as far as the HP and LP filter on the speaker amp goes, i noticed when i put on the HP filter it cleans up the bass coming out of the subs ALOT. of course the settings are still set very low on the sub amp until i have completed breaking them in. theres just a significant difference.

2. also got me a optima today still some dimming, of course its not night yet but would my next step be the big three?

Quick Reply: ported boxes?