Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Problems with dash lighting up and stereo powering on

Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Default Problems with dash lighting up and stereo powering on

Ok so a while back i purchased a Sony stereo for my car.
Right off the bat i was having problems getting it to work. I had all the wires connected to the correct wire as they were labeled, but for some reason it wouldnt power on.
So after some experimenting i found out that i could ONLY get it to power on with 2 red wires and one yellow wire(stereo). If i connected the second yellow wire (car) it would not make a difference. So now i got it to power on. Next issue was that EVERY time i would power on the car the cd player would spin up as if it was the first time running it, the clock, and all stereo settings would reset everytime the car is turned off. I left the car like this seeing how all i use is the auxiliary port. The thing about having these wires connected like this, was that the dash, rear lights, and front lights (not headlights) would not power on. So i connected the dimmer cable to it and they lit up, but they stay on at all times when the car is powered on. So i left it like that.
Now keep in mind that i've had it like this for months.
Just last night i started having problems with it. The stereo stopped powering on, as did the dash and lights. so I went back into the cables. Everything was connected properly. So I messed with it for about a half hour, until i grabbed the wiring harness, pushed it together and the cd player spun up once again. So i thought it was fixed. Today when i turned on the car, it did it once again. The stereo would not turn on. So i pressed down on the harness and it turned on again. Turned car off. Got back on car again, same problem. Except now it won't turn on no matter how much i mess with the harness or cables, and earlier today my odometer stopped working. The miles, and speedometer will no longer work. The RPM gauge and gas gauge still seem to work fine. Im starting to become very frustrated with this, seeing as how i can no longer drive at night. -__-
Any help would be much appreciated.
Sorry for such a long post but i just wanted to be very detailed for a faster answer.
Its a 1997 Honda Accord EX 2.2l

Last edited by xDC23; 07-14-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 PM

UPDATE**
Turns out i had about 4 blown fuses.....replaced them all, now stereo is hooked up the RIGHT way......as for the odometer, i still have to look into that.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

next time you install something, disconnect the battery negative so you don't blow fuses while making connections. wires should not be "hot" when you work with them.

the odometer may be a separate issue.