Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Question about amp/speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Default Question about amp/speakers

Ok, so im having my amp and speakers installed on Tuesday, but I have a question and can not seem to find the answer to my satisfaction.
Ive got a 4 channel PPI amp. Im going to have it run a set of fronts and a set of rears.
Now, the amp is rated at 50x4 and the speakers are 4ohm speakers.
I believe that if the speakers are wired in series, that drops the ohm load down to 2ohms and therefore doubles the power, is that right? Would that just use 1 channel though? Would I still have fade and balance abilities? Can they even be wired this way?
I dont want to bridge the amp because I would loose stereo sound if i understand it correctly.
I dont really know why i am focusing on this so much. the amp is a great amp, but I want to get as much power out of it as possible.
But any help would explaining it to me would be good

Old 04-08-2007, 11:20 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Question about amp/speakers

Im not a pro in this stuff! But since your speakers are 4 ohmd, look at the box your amp came in. It will have ratings, and the power will differ depending on the ohmage of your speakers. 50x4 is most likely your peak power, which is what the amp can power every once in awhile for a short time. If you look at the RMS or constant power output it will be most likely 35-45ish watts per speakers.

As for channels, it is called a four channel amp because it can power four different speakers and relay them diff. information. If you ran two speakers off of one of the 4 terminals it would not be getting as much power and the sound coming out of them would be the exact same, basically like mono instead of stereo.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Im not a pro in this stuff! But since your speakers are 4 ohmd, look at the box your amp came in. It will have ratings, and the power will differ depending on the ohmage of your speakers. 50x4 is most likely your peak power, which is what the amp can power every once in awhile for a short time. If you look at the RMS or constant power output it will be most likely 35-45ish watts per speakers.

As for channels, it is called a four channel amp because it can power four different speakers and relay them diff. information. If you ran two speakers off of one of the 4 terminals it would not be getting as much power and the sound coming out of them would be the exact same, basically like mono instead of stereo.
Not to sound like an ****, but youve probably never heard of Precision Power have you? Not the new craap, but the old Art series. Stuff rocks out. So, the 50x4 at 4ohms is what it will do, at the least. This was about a $450 amp in 1996.

Thanks for the info, but not what I am looking for. Heck, i dont even know if Im asking questions that will get me the info i want!
[8D]

Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

assuming i found the right amp you have these power outputs for it[*]4 ohms: 50 watts x 4 chan.[*]2 ohms: 80 watts x 4 chan.[*]4 ohms bridged: 150 watts x 2 chan.
first thing, if you put it in series that means you only have 2 wires connecting to the amp and then youre running at 8 ohms not 2, in parellel you have it down two 2 ohms
heres a site that has two pictures that show series and parallel wiring, you will have to scroll down a little to see how its shown for each one
http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

on a 4 channel amp you can run it as 4 channel or 2 channel, there is no such thing as a 1 channel on a 4 channel amp.... well.... unless you dont want to use the second channel.... how its defined as a 2 channel amp is by bridging the top bank of speaker wiring points, there should be a diagram that shows you which 2 of the 4 ports to use, and do not use the amp outside of the manufacturers specs unless you want to toast it.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: marbro

assuming i found the right amp you have these power outputs for it[*]4 ohms: 50 watts x 4 chan.[*]2 ohms: 80 watts x 4 chan.[*]4 ohms bridged: 150 watts x 2 chan.
first thing, if you put it in series that means you only have 2 wires connecting to the amp and then youre running at 8 ohms not 2, in parellel you have it down two 2 ohms
heres a site that has two pictures that show series and parallel wiring, you will have to scroll down a little to see how its shown for each one
http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

on a 4 channel amp you can run it as 4 channel or 2 channel, there is no such thing as a 1 channel on a 4 channel amp.... well.... unless you dont want to use the second channel.... how its defined as a 2 channel amp is by bridging the top bank of speaker wiring points, there should be a diagram that shows you which 2 of the 4 ports to use, and do not use the amp outside of the manufacturers specs unless you want to toast it.
Gotcha, that helps some.
So what it is looking like, is that each speaker will be wired to a seperate chanell and I will get 50watts rms out of each chanell, correct?

Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 AM

Thats right. Thats the only way you can do it cause as mentioned, series raises the impedance and cuts the power. Youll have one each speaker hooked up to its own channel at 4 ohms so 50 watts per channel.