Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Questions regarding speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Drachir2000
Unregistered
Default Questions regarding speakers...

Ok, I have a 2006 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 with Navi..I want to replace the speakers...the factory speakers sound cheesy....what does one recommend and will i have to get an AMP...or just getting better quality speakers of similar specs do it?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Default RE: Questions regarding speakers...

Better quality speakers would definitely make the biggest difference.

As for which brands, Im a Polk man myself but its up to you. Go out and listen to as many different kinds as you can to find the ones that sound best to you.

Speakers are the most important part of your stereo so get the best set you can afford.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MacLeod

Better quality speakers would definitely make the biggest difference.

As for which brands, Im a Polk man myself but its up to you. Go out and listen to as many different kinds as you can to find the ones that sound best to you.

Speakers are the most important part of your stereo so get the best set you can afford.
Excellent advice from Mac.
Ive got MBQuart fronts and rears in my 03 and love them.
With better speakers, you might want to look at an amp to run them on. Be warned that if you keep your head unit, you might want to look into getting a JL Cleansweep to make sure the sound is as good as possible.

Let us know what you decide!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Don't look down on Pioneers...quality speakers at bargain prices.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 PM

I have a 2007 EXL V6 and replaced the rears with Alpine 6 x 9's and it made a world of difference. I bought them at Best Buy. They are way more efficient (meaning louder) than the factory ones and the bass is significantly stronger with no boominess - just tight, hard-hitting bass. I am considering upgrading the fronts, but it sounds like that is not quite as turn-key as the rears. Also, when you look at the factory speakers, it will frighten you with concern that Honda short-changed other components in the car the way they did the speakers. The rears almost have no magnets and they are ONE-WAY speakers - crazy in a $28,000 top of the line car.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 AM

Speaker suggestions are very hard because we all hear a bit differently.
My suggestion is to visit your local stereo shops and listen to what they offer using a cd of your favorite songs.
Otherwise I have been very happy with MB Quart, JL...though I do not like their aluminum tweeters, a bit too high and harsh for my ears, and Memphis Audio.
If you are keeping the factory head unit you need high efficiency speakers that will run on the low power factory hu's supply. If you are using an amp with or w/o the factory hu the world is wide open depending on your amp's power.
Keep us informed on your project.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:51 PM

boston + bose.

'nuff said.

Pioneers are OK too... their like the accord of speakers. everyone has em... and their cheap, realiable, and good enough for the average user.

but if your lookin for good quality... boston. and if you have the $$... bose.

unless you always crank your stereo all the way up... you shouldnt need an amp.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: dmullen

I have a 2007 EXL V6 and replaced the rears with Alpine 6 x 9's and it made a world of difference. I bought them at Best Buy. They are way more efficient (meaning louder) than the factory ones and the bass is significantly stronger with no boominess - just tight, hard-hitting bass. I am considering upgrading the fronts, but it sounds like that is not quite as turn-key as the rears. Also, when you look at the factory speakers, it will frighten you with concern that Honda short-changed other components in the car the way they did the speakers. The rears almost have no magnets and they are ONE-WAY speakers - crazy in a $28,000 top of the line car.
interesting...actually, the stereo in my v6 sounds a ton better than the one in the SE...and i have nt changed anything yet...lot more low end response...sales rep said it has a small sub, but i am not sure i buy that. i havent heard of that.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:40 PM

the civic ex coupe has a small sub in the back but i didnt hear much of a difference with it. i think it might be in the stereo itself. the v6 accord may have a betterstereo than the se.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:21 PM

i could probably find out by visiting a parts site...