Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

redoing entire sound system

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Default redoing entire sound system

Ok so I have a pretty good sounding sound system already. (what everyone says) but personally I love doing crazy custom jobs, and I was starting to run out of ideas. I got a couple kenwood 12 inch subs hooked up to a kenwood 1800watt mono amp..gives alotta bump for the trunk. I also got a few kicker 6x9's hooked up to a 2 channel kenwood 350watt amp.

Then i read about people taking home mid-ranges and tweeters and using them in their cars....this gave me an idea

I'm almost thinking about selling the kicker 6x9's...I have them on a crossover so they're not even playing to their full potential..someone else can get better use out of them...then in their spot drop in a few dayton mid ranges on the backshelf in a custom fiberglass encloser..either 2 or 4 midranges...then along the back pillars cut in a few tweeters at the very top and aim them toward the middle of the car.

and for the front do kinda almost the same thing. mid ranges in the door and tweeters on the pillar.

good idea using home audio in the car? Im good at wiring speakers to meet ohm requirements, etc.

thank you

Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

if you are wanting to do custom work - focus on the front speakers. you don't want to have sound behind you unless it's processed rear fill. you can use Dayton speakers (Reference are nice) and get them in your kicks for a better sound stage. i run tweeters in the apillars, midrange in the kick, and midbass in the doors. with some processing it sounds nice.

i also tried midrange/midbass in the kick and tweeters in the apillars - also nice.

the focus should be on speaker placement for an optimal stereo image, i.e. soundstage. think about it like at any other event or place where you have left and right equidistant from you. in a car, the kick is the furthest location away from you, in front of you.

if you want speakers behind you, that is ok too, just toss a midrange pair back there. you can do a Hafler-mix L-R for them, bandpass filter between 400Hz-5kHz, and you'll get decent rear fill. active crossovers make fine tuning easier, but you need a lot of amp channels to go active.

Parts Express sells crossover parts to make your own - you'll need to divide the midrange and tweeter with a custom passive crossover. the crossover point depends on the speaker's frequency response and location.

my build log can give you inspiration and ideas (link in sig)

Old 01-12-2011, 06:09 PM

thanks alot! and ya i read your build log the other day. thats what also gave me some inspiration. in the spring time i will start more on the project

Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

cool. you'll notice how much effort i put into the front speaker system, and it totally pays off. it's a lot of effort, but it's also a lot of fun and you learn along the way. Honda's are a joy to work on/with.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
cool. you'll notice how much effort i put into the front speaker system, and it totally pays off. it's a lot of effort, but it's also a lot of fun and you learn along the way. Honda's are a joy to work on/with.
ya lol i'm noticing that. thanks again though