General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace headgasket or entire engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Default Should I replace headgasket or entire engine?

Hi I just bought a 2001 honda accord 2.3 ulev with a suspected headgasket failure. There is definetly coolant mixing with oil(has classic milkshake color), but when I drove it home last night(30 miles) it did not over heat at all. The needle stayed in the middle of the temp gauge. But when I put the vehicle in park the rpms started jumping all over the place. My question is since there is coolant in the oil should I replace just the headgasket or would I be better off finding a used engine? Also would a vaccuum leak cause coolant to mix with oil and rpms to jump like that? I read somewhere that these 2.3 ulevs are known to have cracked blocks, is there any truth behind that myth? Thank you in advance to all who reply.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Read posting instructions. DIY is for procedures only, not general problems.

Headgasket repair will be cheaper than engine replacement. If engine has been driven for some time w/ contaminated oil, it's possible that engine wear has been accelerated (poor lube in bearings, cylinders).

Vacuum leak will not cause coolant to mix w/ oil.

Not familiar w/ engine history for ULEV engines. First I've heard of that comment.

good luck

Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 PM

It's the Anti freeze that kills the bearings, running with the coolant level aound minimum and topping up frequently is the way to nurse it, filling the header right to the top the best way to really blow the gaskets but a replacement motor sounds like the way to go.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by David Broad
It's the Anti freeze that kills the bearings, running with the coolant level aound minimum and topping up frequently is the way to nurse it, filling the header right to the top the best way to really blow the gaskets but a replacement motor sounds like the way to go.

Are you a Chinese Post Bot?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

I also haven't heard the cracked blocks myth.

Its a real tough decision, and I honestly don't know what i would do in your situation. On one hand a headgasket isnt that hard of a job and can be done rather cheaply. However if coolant got into the oil it could have accelerated bearing and other critical part wear as Texas said.

On the other hand a used engine has an unknown history to you and could have even worse problems than the one you have. Granted most come with a warranty but it stinks to swap in an engine just to find out it has issues. Ask me how I know

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

The block on your 2.3L ULEV engine is the same at the other 2.3 non-ULEV engines. I think the only difference is that your sensors are more accurate (higher quality), and the PCM is programmed to get better emissions from your car.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
Are you a Chinese Post Bot?
No,but I've had a lot of experience of nuring that head gasket blowing nightmare the Rover K series engine, the water boils away as soon as the egine gets hot but the Glycol doesn't evaporate it forms acids which attack the soft bearing material. Check it out, google it.
Oh yeah, just a small amount of oil in the radiator like 1% can cause overheating, check that out, it cost the RAF alot of Spitfire Merlin engines before they realised.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Well thanks for all the responses guys. I actually ended up replacing the headgasket myself. Went nice and smooth besides from breaking a knock sensor along the waay. I drove the car about 1,000 miles problem free and turned around and sold it. I am now the proud owner of a new to me 2000 Acura Tl, black on black.