Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Default remote starter

i have a 2010 accord ex-l with nav, had a factory remote starter installed at dealer, after starting the car the key buttons do not work, when you insert key to unlock door, the car shuts off, any wat to unlock car while car stays running

thanks

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 06-30-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: in general, it's not a good idea to leave your phone number on the internet :) PM's only.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 PM

Its all about safety... You can remote start your car and leave the doors unlocked... If someone tries to get in the car, if the key is not put in the ignition, anything done such as trying to put the car into gear will kill it... Thats how it worked on my truck... What brand did they installl???

Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

i can remote start mine, and arm it/lock it while it's running. then i can disarm it and get in, insert the key, push the brake, and drive away. i can also have my car running, put my car in park, push a key on the alarm key fob, remove my keys (engine stays running), exit and arm my alarm/lock my doors - and the engine stays running. i can return, disarm, insert key, push brake, and drive away. i do this to keep the car warm in the winter or cool in the summer while i run in somewhere.

my car is never unlocked while it's running - unless i unlock it.

either time, if someone breaks in or pushes the brake the car will shut off and my key fob will alert me.

I have an Autopage RS900-LCD that I installed myself. It does whatever I want it to.

Take it back to the dealer, tell them what you want it to do and have them wire that way.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 06-30-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:09 PM

I used to love my alarm... Had a temp trigger for winter/summer in cold/hot weather... If i had it on, the truck would start itself up and shut itself off to keep itself in the temp parameters... Also had my alarm tied in with my Authentic southern pacific train horns... I loved it, but had to get it tweaked with 2 times by the shop who installed it...

Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

tweaking alarms isn't uncommon. there are a lot of settings and preferences, and everyone is different. the best thing to do is read the installation and programming manual section referring to programming options. and choose what option you want. then just give that to the installer, or do it yourself. programming the alarm is simply a matter of pushing the valet button a certain number of times.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Administrator
Talking I Like That

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
i can remote start mine, and arm it/lock it while it's running. then i can disarm it and get in, insert the key, push the brake, and drive away. i can also have my car running, put my car in park, push a key on the alarm key fob, remove my keys (engine stays running), exit and arm my alarm/lock my doors - and the engine stays running. i can return, disarm, insert key, push brake, and drive away. i do this to keep the car warm in the winter or cool in the summer while i run in somewhere.

my car is never unlocked while it's running - unless i unlock it.

either time, if someone breaks in or pushes the brake the car will shut off and my key fob will alert me.

I have an Autopage RS900-LCD that I installed myself. It does whatever I want it to.

Take it back to the dealer, tell them what you want it to do and have them wire that way.
AutoPage RS900-LCD...I shall go study that unit, sounds like something to know about..
Thanks Buddie

Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

It's inexpensive, easy to DIY install, robust, tons of features, etc. I am very happy. I've had it for more than a year now in lieu of the factory keyless entry. It has 6 channels, a 1 mile range, temp sensor, glass break/shock sensor, etc.

I also have the immobilizer bypass by iDataLink so it is not necessary to hide a key on the steering column.

It looks like the AutoPage C3 RS-915 LCD is the replacement to mine. SonicElectronix is an authorized seller (I verified that with AutoPage directly).

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 07-01-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:28 PM

is anyone listening, i have factory alarm and remote start already installed, need a way to alter that setup, not looking for options about other alarms,

thanks

Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive

I was listening. This was my advice from the very beginning and still is. We can't make any recommendations for changing the settings without knowing the make/model number and exactly how it was wired. The installer can help you.

Dealers can/do install aftermarket remote starts. I was letting you know that what you want to do can be done with some products, like mine. If yours can't, tell them you want something different and it doesn't meet your expectations.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:52 PM

OEM remotes on Honda's and many other makes are disabled while the vehicle is running. There probably is a way around it looking at circuit diagrams of the remote starter that was installed or simple programming sequence, but i've never seen it. Going aftermarket remote start will enable the use of locking and unlocking the car with the aftermarket remote where you won't need the OEM anymore.