Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Question Sound Deadening

So one of my next projects is to keep the deep exhaust noise from getting into the cabin as much. In winter, when the windows are up, the noise gets in and stays in and can cause a headache on long trips.

I know the sound deadener would be good, I was thinking of putting it in my trunk where the spare tire is and maybe under the trunk hood too but I found some spray that has pretty good reviews on amazon.

Anyone recommend the spray sound deadener? Its cheaper at least and can stand up to 300 degrees. Would it be a good idea to spray it along the back end of my car underneath? Or just where I would put the sound deadener and use the spray instead?

I'm not sure of all the key spots where sound gets in to the cabin.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

I moved this to the "Audio" section....I know it is not about radios/audio but I thought in here there would be better answers.....since a big part of good audio sound is keeping the "road noise" out....just a thought?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM

Ok. I wasnt too sure where to put it. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

I would be iffy on cheap alternatives. sound deadning is a proven method that works. it is expensive but it does work. If I were to try and get something else besides sound deadner, spray insulation also works. it decays over time and it looks bad but it works too.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM

Looking more into it I think ill get the mats and use adhesive. I can do the trunk for pretty cheap.

I'm thinking take the fabric liners in the trunk out, do all around that and the trunk hood. But I also know that theres a rubberized undercoating spray that dampens vibrations as well. Would that be smart to spray on the catback exhaust or maybe just the heat shields?

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 03-25-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

I know nothing about that.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 PM

Ok. Well that opens up to anyone.

Reviews say that it helps sound proof. I need to know if I can put it directly on the exhaust.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:03 AM
Default My experience with DB readings

I wish I would’ve taken decibel readings before I started making changes, but for those of you have a stock accord, you can simply download a decibel reading application to your smart phone. I’m sure they’re not as accurate as expensive device designed specifically for measuring noise, but it would give us a general idea.

Based on everything I can find online the cabin noise at 70 to 75 mph on average highway road noise is around 69 decibels for a 2108 accord touring 1.5

I replaced my stock tires with Bridgestone quiet tracks and used nano ceramic window tint on the sides and back. Believe it or not I noticed more reduction in sound with the window tint (although I only did it for the heat reduction)

This is when I decided to check the dB levels

I average 52 dB on a poor quality highway and 49 on a newer highway. This is on cruise control at 75 miles an hour

I plan on using a Dynamat type product under the carpet & seats and will go back to get my windshield done in ceramic just for more heat reduction.

I will compare the decibel readings at each step.

I would love love to know what other people have done that have actually taken dB readings, I’m looking for some cost effective ways to reduce sound

By the way, I had one guy quote me $2800 for his method of dynamat & foam application underneath all the seats but the local car toys quoted me $700 to do what I thought was the same thing.

Obviously, every time I hit a bump in the road it would peek over 60 dB

Just so you can see the quality of highway I was on, not great to say the least

Last edited by alex.grossman80@gmail.com; 08-02-2023 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Typo