Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Subwoofer Makes helicopter sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Default Subwoofer Makes helicopter sound?

Hey everyone,

My subwoofer has been doing something quite odd for awhile now. For no apparent reason, it will start making a sound that sounds like a helicopter. If you look at the sub in my trunk, it is playing a frequency that is slow enough to actually see the cycles per second. Also, the sub is easily hitting Xmax every cycle. Changing settings on my receiver has no effect on the sub's behavior, and the subwoofer will continue to behave like this even if no music is playing. I have hooked up my father's subwoofer to my system and it does the same thing, which would indicate to me that the problem lies either with my amp, or my receiver. Has anyone else ever experienced a problem like this?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Your problem is either in your wiring or in your amp... Check all your settings on your reciever...

Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

start with disconnecting the RCA's from the amp to see if the problem still exists. does it do it when the head unit is off?

verify the amp ground is tight and to bare metal with a good bolted connection to the floor.

you may need to replace the RCA cables if they have been compromised.

list the other components in the system - make/model.

i most certainly could be a bad amp.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the advice Hope, I'm leaving on a road trip today and I have my father's amp and sub hooked up to my car. If his equipment ends up doing the same thing, I'll know it's definitely the wiring or my receiver. The sub does stop if I turn off my receiver, but I can't remember what happens if I disconnect the RCAs. Also, the amp is grounded to the frame of the car with 4 gauge wire, through a bolt that is drilled through the sheet metal in the floor of my trunk with washers on either side touching bare metal. All the connections there seem to be tight. When I get back from my trip, I'll put my equipment back in, and see if I can fool with the RCAs to get you some more info.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:01 AM

was cleaning up some wiring and finishing up an install of a sub-seat subwoofer and had this exact problem — without music playing the sub made a sound like a helicopter, then sped up then was all over the map.

Google brought me here with “subwoofer helicopter noise”

As part of the cleanup I put ferrules on the 8 gauge wires going into the sub (held down by tightening down Allen screws).

The ground needed to be tightened down even more.

check your wiring is TIGHT.

Originally Posted by Nightbreeze
Hey everyone,

My subwoofer has been doing something quite odd for awhile now. For no apparent reason, it will start making a sound that sounds like a helicopter. If you look at the sub in my trunk, it is playing a frequency that is slow enough to actually see the cycles per second. Also, the sub is easily hitting Xmax every cycle. Changing settings on my receiver has no effect on the sub's behavior, and the subwoofer will continue to behave like this even if no music is playing. I have hooked up my father's subwoofer to my system and it does the same thing, which would indicate to me that the problem lies either with my amp, or my receiver. Has anyone else ever experienced a problem like this?