Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Is there a grommet on the Passenger side?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Is there a grommet on the Passenger side?

I own a 1994 Honda Accord LX. While trying to look up a spot to run a Power Cable for my amp, I read somewhere that 17ft will not be enough to trun it from my battery, across the firewall, then into the grommet by the gas pedal. The problem is I have already opened a wiring kit, and the power cable is only 17ft. I would like to know if anyone else has ran into a grommet on the passanger side, able to fit a 8AWG Wire through.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

you will need to drill a hole to run on the passenger side. the blower motor is in the way so the hole will be lower than usual, and require you jack up the car on the passenger side to access and route.

use a good firewall grommet that creates a water-tight seal. i like these:
StreetWires FB8 8 AWG Firewall Bushing | 263-637

Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
you will need to drill a hole to run on the passenger side. the blower motor is in the way so the hole will be lower than usual, and require you jack up the car on the passenger side to access and route.

use a good firewall grommet that creates a water-tight seal. i like these:
StreetWires FB8 8 AWG Firewall Bushing | 263-637
I actually have found a grommet on the firewall to the top left of the ECU on the passengers side of the cabin. I am told that it is the OEM Fog Light Grommet. I am going to drill a hole inside of that grommet and place a watertight grommet liek the one you had posted to make sure no water flies into my cabin, especially sine I live in Western washington with all this dang rain, hahah.

Here is a link to the place i was told: How can I wire my amp? - Honda-Tech

Here is a picture of the Grommet inside of my car:Is there a grommet on the Passenger side?-oem-fog-light-grommet.jpg

If you pull back the top of the passenger side carpet, there will be a velcro piece (Should be) that the carpet attaches to. and behind it is like this black material (Believe it is insulation), there should be a circle shaped "plug." Once you pull that black piece out, the grommet will become visible.
Thank you for the insight on the Bushing though

Old 03-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

nice find! thanks for sharing!

i've used the plastic grommets before and they can work well as long as you zip tie the power wire in place on both sides. otherwise the wire can force the grommet to pop out. i use silicone to seal the penetration in the factory grommet to prevent water ingress if i'm not using a compression-style firewall bushing.

don't forget to get some good quality split loom to protect the power wire in the engine bay. try to route it with factory wiring, using zip ties to secure the wire as often as necessary so it stays routed like/with factory wiring. end result should look like a factory-installed option.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
nice find! thanks for sharing!

i've used the plastic grommets before and they can work well as long as you zip tie the power wire in place on both sides. otherwise the wire can force the grommet to pop out. i use silicone to seal the penetration in the factory grommet to prevent water ingress if i'm not using a compression-style firewall bushing.

don't forget to get some good quality split loom to protect the power wire in the engine bay. try to route it with factory wiring, using zip ties to secure the wire as often as necessary so it stays routed like/with factory wiring. end result should look like a factory-installed option.
I am thinking about power wire down side of car and rcas down middle, then behinddrivers seat, to the side of the car. Where do you route the wires?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Compressision style firewall bushing is what you put a link for right?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Old 03-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ALDJ1 View Post
those are the same thing.

i also run my RCA's down the middle - i remove the carpet to route all wiring.