Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Is there a way to wire multiple speakers together without effecting impedance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Is there a way to wire multiple speakers together without effecting impedance?

I know you can wire them in series or in parallel. But I though, maybe, if you wired them up in BOTH the correct way, the impedance wouldn't change. Is this possible?

For example. If have 4 6ohm speakers. I wire them together using both the parallel method and the series method. Can I make it to where in the end, ll 4 connected together still has an impedance of 6?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

you would wire two pairs of the speakers in parallel. now you have two 3 ohm loads. then you wire those in series, now you have 6 ohms.

however, you will suffer high frequency attenuation due to the series voice coil impedance rise.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Assuming this was done in the rear of a car where high frequency sounds are usually lacking and tweeters are in the front, I would guess that the sound quality would still be good.

Same for an indoor audio system. 4 6ohm speakers wired together on, say, the center channel of a 5.1 home theater setup. And then tweeters put in with the speakers of the front mains. The system would still sound good, nd all of the speakers would be used.

Only reason I'm asking is because I have SO many speakers, and almost all of them are 6ohm... Didn't know what to do with them.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

six 6 ohm speakers can be wired for 4 ohms... three pairs in series for three 12 ohm loads and those three groups in parallel for 4 ohms. (12 ohms is common with three sub systems)

are these home speaker drivers? OEM speakers?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Great. Because I have at least 12 of them.

They're all home speakers. All of them are Toshiba. I bought them all really cheaply t a fleamarket, brought them home, tested them, and they worked. But oddly every one of them had badly cracked cases. So I removed them from the cases, and now I just have the speakers.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 PM

You have to make sure that you wire it right or you may accidently wire it to a lower ohm load and fry the head unit. Don't skimp and buy some decent car audio speakers. I'll recommend the infinity reference series as they can get fairly loud and sound pretty as well for their price. That's what I upgraded to when I changed the stock ones out. I currently own image dynamics components though.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by slim2fattycake
You have to make sure that you wire it right or you may accidently wire it to a lower ohm load and fry the head unit. Don't skimp and buy some decent car audio speakers. I'll recommend the infinity reference series as they can get fairly loud and sound pretty as well for their price. That's what I upgraded to when I changed the stock ones out. I currently own image dynamics components though.
I'm not putting these in my car. Lol. I may not do anything with them at all. Then again, I may wire them together into 2 channels and use them with a 2 channel amplifier. Idk.

I asked the question to kill two birds with one stone. Now, I know that I can wire multiple speakers together in a car if I ever decided to. Plus, I know that I can POSSIBLY use these speakers for something inside of my home..

Thanks for the tip about the infinity reference series. I need to upgrade my speakers. They'll all still stock.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

bcae1.com has some good tutorials on speaker impedance wiring.