General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather effecting turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Default Cold weather effecting turn signal switch

Well, as the weather has turned colder, I have noticed something with my turn signals on my '91 coupe. When I turn the switch lever, I hear a rapid clicking for anywhere from one to four seconds. Almost like a hyper flash when you have a burnt bulb. The instrument panel turn indicator does not light up, nor does the actual turn signal bulb (front nor back). But then everything works fine...instrument panel indicator, turn signal, and they blink in the normal caaa-chick, caaa-chick rhythm. The colder it is, the longer the rapid clicking before it works. Once I get driving down the road and warming up the car, the problem disappears. In the afternoon, it doesn't happen, either. This happens equally for both left and right signal.

Also, sometimes when I hit the right turn signal, the headlights flicker for just a real brief instant. I checked all the fuses and they were all good. All bulbs work fine. Any ideas? Do these switches fail often? Easy or hard to fix? Cheap/expensive?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've had a similar problem on my 94EX since I've owned it. The R turn signal is slow to come on when weather is cold. Once used a few times it works normally. I've traced the problem to the switch. By carefully moving the switch I can get it to start a little sooner. Probably a weak switch spring. It is a minor inconenience that I've never felt the urge to fix.

Fixing would require replacement of the turn signal switch assy.

good luck

Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Some people have taken the switch apart & cleaned it up. There's grease in there (where the contacts rub against each other) and it dries up & hardens.

If you're comfortable taking apart switches & similar stuff that's not REALLY intended to be taken apart, then go for it. But it still might be contacts actually worn down so fresh grease might not fix it.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 PM

Well, the turn signal being slow is not really that big a deal. The two roads I turn on are pretty deserted when I go to work in the morning. My main concern is the headlight flicker. I don't want the lights to go out and not come back on. Jim, when I delve into things that are not intended for me to be there, usually nothing good becomes of it. I think I will not try to fix it myself.