Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm definitely going to look into that HU. 8v preouts, geez the highest I've seen are 6vs.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by status
what headunit do you have mac?
Alpine 9861. I only use it as a source unit tho. Im using an Alpine H700 processor running off the optical output from the 9861 for all my EQ'ing.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt
I'm definitely going to look into that HU.
if you do end up buying it i would love to take your valor off your hands for a good price =]

Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 PM

Mine doesn't even have the features of the newer one, like bluetooth. It really blows, it never wants to recognize DVDs anymore. Only reason I got it because I like to be able to navigate my ipod, and the SQ is actually good for the price. I wouldn't feel right selling it to anyone as it is that much of a POS. But if you really want it it's all yours, but you get what you pay for. A cheap in dash is not worth it, this is the last time I make that mistake. Your sound system is only as good as your source, and my source blows right now.

EDIT: The system I have now is my first attempt at quality sound, a few years ago I didn't even think I cared much for music let alone quality sound. I heard a few setups and feel in love with the clarity and a proper sound stage. My system is nothing more than a budget system, and I wouldn't say it's anything more than moderate. I plan up getting a real HU, swap my fronts out for some Jl C5s, and get a new amp for them and call it done. Maybe get a W6 or W7 in the future, but not sure.

Last edited by t00fatt; 03-22-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 PM

but its still gotta be an upgrade from my $80 pioneer, right?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:15 PM

I would say the SQ is about the same, but I don't really know. My HU isn't anything great, just doesn't add any noticeable distortion, which cheap HU's usually do. My valor would only offer you an annoyingly slow interface to control your ipod. The built in MP3 decoder sounds horrible, the highs are almost completely compressed out. So it's either ipod or audio CD, mp3 CD/DVD sounds horrible. Not to mention I'm not sure how much longer this thing will last, there is no way to turn off the internal amp and it produces an enormous amount of heat. Valor makes the best cheap in dash, but I wouldn't call it good.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:52 PM

still, id like to be able to be able to watch movies on long road trips. anything to keep the girlfriend from talking so much
but we will discuss this further when you get your new hu

Last edited by botang47; 03-22-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Dont get caught up too much in the "SQ of a head unit". Any head unit that sounds different from any other head unit is one you DONT want.

Same goes with amps.

What you want from a head unit is to reproduce the signal off your CD as transparently as possible. Same with an amp. Dont change anything, just take the incoming signal, amplify it and send it on down the line without changing a thing.

When you hear guys say Brand X amp has tighter bass or Brand Y head unit has better highs it just aint so UNLESS youre talking about the EQs and other processors built in.

In order to get "better bass" an amp or HU would have to add or subtract db's from the 40-80 Hz range. I dont want my HU or amp cutting or adding anything. My HU or amp doesnt know how I like my music or what sub Im using or how big my car is so leave the EQ'ing to me.

If you notice in all the magazine tests on HU's and amps, the frequency response graphs are ruler flat which means they dont add or subtract anything so there wouldnt be a difference. The people that tell you they can hear a difference are usually the same people who swear they can hear the grass grow.

Bottom line is buy a head unit based on build quality and that is has the features you want. Same with an amp - build quality and meets your power needs.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 PM

Oh I didn't mean that at all. I was talking about the distortion cheap HU's and amps can produce, not that any HU sounds different.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM

I hear ya. I wasnt trying to be all preachy - just passing along some thoughts for anybody that might be in the head unit market. Manufacturers love to throw around a lot of hype and general BS in audio. Its almost an epidemic in home audio!!

Quick Reply: Tweeters