Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Vid of my Kicker Comp CVR12 12"s w/ Alpine MRDM1005 video comments welcome

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Default RE: Vid of my Kicker Comp CVR12 12"s w/ Alpine MRDM1005 video comments welcome

ORIGINAL: donpisto

Nice vid. I was surprised to hear the bass notes on my computer speakers when you were walking towards your car. Do you get rattling from your trunk lid? If so I'll give you a minor tip that will make a huge difference. I have an 18" sub in my '01 sedan so it pushes quite a bit of air and the rattling annoyed me. A friend of mine recommended taking out this little piece that is in the trunk lid. It's on the bottom covered by a platic piece and bolted to it. All it is, is a weight for the trunk lid and it rattles the **** out of the lid. I took mine out, filled it with expanding foam, and covered the lid with sound deadener. You don't need to go through all that, just removing the peice will help alot. Here is a picture of where it's located.

here's what my trunk looks like:

Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Default RE: Vid of my Kicker Comp CVR12 12"s w/ Alpine MRDM1005 video comments welcome

and here's a pretty pic of my amp with the cover back on, and the fan off...the only reason the fan was ever on there is because when i first got the subs i had them wired parallel showing the amp a 1ohm load, and it would go into protection...the fan would actually keep it from doing it..but i've since wired them right. the subs are dual voice coil so i wired the coils in series giving each sub 4 ohms, and then wired the subs to the amp in parallel, showing the amp 2 ohms, for the full 1000wrms, its actually louder as it wasnt meant to be ran at 1ohm...

it does 1000wrms @ 2ohm, 750wrms @ 4ohm

Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 PM

Lucky you that you don't have that piece. It's a big headache. If the fan wasn't a problem, I would have kept it in/on the amp, wherever it was. It will help keep the amp cool and run more efficient, which is why it would not go into protect mode before when wired at 1 ohm.

As for the license plate rattling put one layer of sound deadener on the back. You can use Dynamat, but I prefer Second Skin Damplifier (Second Skin being the company). It's thicker than Dynamat Xtreme and cheaper, and IMO better. I've used both and the adhesion on the Second Skin is way better. You will also want to put an open cell foam behind the license plate as well. I'll take pictures tomorrow and show you how I did mine. Rattles will go away. The stuff I use is also by Second Skin and it is called Rattle Pad.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:20 PM

Dang man, clean your trunk... Its dirty as hezel

Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: j_man_honda

Dang man, clean your trunk... Its dirty as hezel
yeah i know it, i need to clean the carpet with some carpet cleaner or something...i'll do it when i get some time....

would it be to ricey to get some blue neon tubes back there to illuminate when the trunk is open like one above the subs, so they look blue mettallic?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 PM

ORIGINAL: donpisto

If the fan wasn't a problem, I would have kept it in/on the amp, wherever it was. It will help keep the amp cool and run more efficient, which is why it would not go into protect mode before when wired at 1 ohm.

it was causing problem it was caking the innards of the amp with dust and crap, i blew it out with some canned air, ALOT of dust came out... i did a test after i put the cover back on, ran it full blast on the bassiest song i could find for about an hour straight, and the max temp the amp displayed was 138F, with the fan it would do like max 125F, so 13 degrees difference, not bad.... and not straining the amp to bad...i'll trade that for the dust problem...

Old 04-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: ziggy!talon
would it be to ricey to get some blue neon tubes back there to illuminate when the trunk is open like one above the subs, so they look blue mettallic?
Not if you do it right. Discrete wiring and mounting would be awesome.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

ORIGINAL: ziggy!talon
Not if you do it right. Discrete wiring and mounting would be awesome.
oh of course, i always try to make my wiring as discrete as possible... when i ran my power wire for my amp i actually pulled the carpet up to run it under the carpet all the way to the back, and then i went through a little crevice (sp) i found in the back seat area to get the wire into the trunk, worked out well... the ground wireis just bolted right to the chassis in the spare tire well, i just drilled right through, crimped a circle connector (i dont know what the hell they are called, the type that are meant for a bolt to go through them) and then just bolted it on from the bottom of the car, good solid ground.