Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Viper 5701v Remote start acting weird?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Unhappy Viper 5701v Remote start acting weird?

Hi all! I purchased a Viper 5701 Remote start/security system last week and had it installed (proessionally by local viper retailer) and It worked flawlessly! And just a few days ago I installed a Pioneer AVIC-U310BT double-din navigation unit in my car. During the installation process I unplugged the negative wire from my battery and after the install I put the battery back together and now when I push the "lock" button on my system, the car "chirps" twice and then stops for a few seconds and then "chirps" 5-6 more times consistently. It will keep chirping 5-6 times every five seconds or so. It does this every time I lock my car and set the alarm. It is very annoying, and it draws unwanted attention.

Has anyone had any experience with this problem or viper remote start systems in general? This is my first one and so far I am not impressed, considering this problem and also the fact that the 2-way function doesn't work either. I have checked the viper manual, online sites and I cannot figure out why my viper 5701 system will chirp constantly after I lock it. Before my pioneer installation, the system worked fine, but since the unplug/replug of the car battery the system has been acting haywire! Any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:15 PM

I've hadn't had a problems with the v's. I've been installing the new vipers for a couple years now at my work and several of the older vipers for 5 years before that so I've done many many many many cars. Only problem we saw was on the non v series where 2-way would be forgotten which was a brain issue. Dei fixed that on the v series along with other firmware issues. I put the same unit in my car and have had no problems. But to me it sounds like it is stuck in a programming mode. The 2 chirp is menu 2 then 5-6 chirps is the programing feature or it's on a feature of 5 or 6 then as you are hittin the lock or unlock button it's switching between option one or 2 on that feature number. Never have I seen or come across that problem before. Try and disconnect both leads of the battery and touch them together to get rid of any risidual power out of the circuits. If it still does it then I would take it back to then place you had it installed and have them look at it.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

definitely take it back to the shop, they will check it out for you. did you get the manuals with the alarm install? in the installation manual it will describe what the chirps mean - as stated above it may be in a programming mode, even though it should time out of any programming modes.

does your 2-way give you any visual indication of something being wrong - i.e. shock sensor? can you find your brain and all of the associated sensors? did the installer solder the wires or use connectors. It is very possible during your installation you compromised the alarm wiring or a connection.

Don't be upset if the shop charges you for "fixing" the alarm if they find that you did something by accident.

Normally, disconnecting the battery won't harm the alarm, which is why I suspect a connection failure.

And BTW - good job disconnecting the battery for an install. A lot of people neglect that important step.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Shock sensor in those units are built into the brain so you won't find anything there. Another option its some other error like hood trigger, trunk, or door trigger?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Really? I don't like the idea of putting a shock sensor in the brain - it really limits useful mounting options.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 PM

yeah it really affects how it works. there is still the 4pin plug for external sensor which is nice. I'm using 2 shock sensors currently. the one built into the brain for the front and external use located in the back of the car.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

ah, that makes sense. good to know. thanks for the info.