Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Wiring interior lights

Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Default Wiring interior lights

How would I wire neons/LEDs? I know you want to have an inline fuse or something, but I don't understand what source to hook it up to. I've heard splicing into your cigarette lighter, which I DON'T understand how you would do that at all. And I've also heard of hookingit up through the fuse box. You can plug things in there???? Please help, I have no idea how to run these lights. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Default RE: Wiring interior lights

The two ways you are talking about are correct.... There is one other way.... I'll try to lay them out:

1) Cigarette lighter splice: strip the end of the power wire that goes to your lights, connect that to the power wire on the cigarette lighter (strip a little section on that wire if needed) then run that wire up to a switch somewhere, run from the other side of the switch to the lights.

2) Fuse box: Find an empty fuse location that's not being used, test and see which side of it is "hot" (has power) when the car is on. Take the end of a wire, strip it back a little bit, hold it so the exposed part is accross the opening of the fuse on the side that is "dead" without a fuse in there (hold it so the wire makes a + accross the opening) then push a fuse into place so that it pinches the wire down into the "dead" side. Now you have power to that wire and a fuse in place, run that wire to a switch and from a switch to the light.

3) Run a wire from the positive side of your battery terminal, put an inline fuse in there (available and most hardware/electrical shops or home depot etc.) run from the fuse to the switch, switch to the light.

There's the three ways to do it!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 PM

Thank you very much for the help! Is any way better than the others? Can I still use my lighter outlet if I splice it for the lights? Also, I have a subwoofer hooked up to my battery already, so I was really wondering if I should avoid putting another draw right from the terminal. If I did do that, would i run a separate wire and separate inline fuse altogether? Sorry for the additional questions but you were so much help! Thanks!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 PM

the fuse box is probably the most common use but i wouldnt go as far as to say one is better than the other, just do what you feel comfortable doing to your car, just make sure if you do use a fuse try to get one that only has power when the switch is on. that will prevent a dead battery from accidentally leaving the neons on. if you need any help just send a message and i will try to walk you through it

Old 06-28-2007, 01:34 PM

there is no real danger into tapping into the fuse box, the worst that could happen would be a blown fuse, and if you have a DMM you can find ground on the meter with a continuity test

Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 AM

Ok thanks guys. So I won't try to run another wire to my battery then. Fuse box it is.Is there an easy way to tell which wire to gorund and which to power? I don't have the kit yet, so I can't tell you exactly what it's going to be like. But here's a link.

http://www.ledunderbody.com/index.as...&ProdID=36

Also going to do the Blue LED conversion for Instrument cluster, stereo, climate controls, and clock. should be nice.
http://www.ledautomotive.com/OrderInfo/98-02Accord/

Tell me what you think!!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 PM

yeah the ground should be black and the power wire might be red and maybe have a fuse in line

Old 07-07-2007, 02:16 PM

I did this same thing on my 96 accord and it turned out great. The neons that I purchased off of ebay were very easy to install. Any wire that connects to a light source would be ok because it has a grounded and a positive wire. I connected mine to the light that lit up the coin try by cutting a piece of the insulator off of each wire and then soldering the led wires onto the wire/splicing the wire. This way, whenever I turn on my lights, the interior neons come on as well. As for the led dash conversion I have started and it has turned out great. All you must be able to do is take off the climate control/ gauge cluster (if your going to convert those lights)/ and the cigarette and coin tray lights. It took me a little over an hour to install all the leds and it was definately worth it.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Thanks Myrtle. Would love to see some pics of it...
I feel pretty good about what I'm gonna do with it. Just gotta order them now. Sweeet.