Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

Was supposed to be a simple tune up!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Default Was supposed to be a simple tune up!

Hi Gents,

You know when you NEVER played with mechanics before, everything seems to be challenging even when it is a simple DIY oil change and Spark Plugs.

Well, all was great, as I have the Ipod in one hand and the tools in the other, following step by step instructions, the oil change was a walk in the park!!! I struggled more with the oil filter removal then anything else.

As I went to remove the first spark plug, when I pulled it out, I noticed them to be covered in oil, YAY just my luck, I even knew that was not normal.

So I googled it and found out that possibly and hopefully the simplest problem solution was to change the valve cover gasket and O rings. Turn over to my trusted ratchet set and removed the darn thing.

So I bolted of to the local car shop, picked up the gasket kit at a total cost of $60 CDN, went back home and installed the gaskets... Success!! Solved the issue.

Now since I had the cover off, why not go a little further into making my ride look good, as my intentions for this Honda is to be a "show car" one day. It will come true... I believe and won't let go... Anyway I decided to paint the cover, make it look pretty.

I know it's not much, but you what, it is clean and I am proud!!! Job well done today!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 PM

are you sure it wasnt the lower spark plug tube gaskets? i was hoping it was the uppers on mine and turned out to be the lowers... so now i get to take the rocker arm assembly out...

Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 PM

Yeah, I was lucky, just changing the O rings and valve cover gasket solved the issue.