Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

is your check engine light supposed to go on after installing an intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Default is your check engine light supposed to go on after installing an intake?

my friend knows someone who has a short ram intake on his integra and he says his light is on because of the intake
could it be from bad installation?

Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: is your check engine light supposed to go on after installing an intake?

He probably just needs to reset the ECU and let it learn with the new intake. Make sure there arent any leaks too

Old 02-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Default RE: is your check engine light supposed to go on after installing an intake?

did you have to reset your ecu after installing your AEM sri?
cause im also thinking about getting an AEM sri pretty soon

Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 AM

i installed mines and the check engine light didnt come on, dont know why though. but you have to reset your ecu because your car is sucking up more air than your stock intake.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:57 AM

how about an aftermarket ecu?
would that be the same as resetting it?

Old 02-07-2007, 12:59 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I reset mine just to be safe. It should be the same even with an aftermarket ecu. My light never came on after my intake. Just unhook the battery, open the doors for about 10 minutes, and then start the car, let it idle for 5-10 minutes and drive normally.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:41 AM

minds actually went on also.... i was just told to drive for a certain amount of miles and then go the light would turn off and it did!!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:00 PM
andywaco2
Unregistered

I have an 04 accord and I had this same problem. If the accord is year 00-07 he needs to make sure he kept the intake air temperature sensor and put it into the new intake. When i took apart my old one i accidentally threw away my old IAT sensor and had to buy a new one from autozone for like 33 dollars. There should be a hole in the intake that plugs in then u connect the sensor. I glued mine into the whole with silicon and after bout 15 miles of driving the engine light turned off.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: thunder_x

how about an aftermarket ecu?
would that be the same as resetting it?
No, an aftermarket ECU is a completely different animal. The easiest way to explain it would be to say that resetting the ECU is just like turning the power to the ECU off, and then turning it back on. That way the ECU can "relearn" your cars characteristics. And a much easier way to reset it is to remove the back up fuse for about fifteen seconds. You should do that after every mod you make, just to be safe and make sure everything works the way it should.