Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Cleaning my engine bay...

Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Default Cleaning my engine bay...

And i dont want to use water, its a tad old (1993) and i want to tenderly use spray or other chemical cleaners. So whats useful and handy? Ive heard about something called GUNK and im trying to find what other sprays and bottles i can buy that will make this bay look better:

EDIT: just checked out my motor, im leaking some oil out of my right gasket, any tips on what to expect when replacing it? Should i worry? Nothing is leaking from the oil cap itself just the gasket.

Last edited by iamninja28; 03-15-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

"Right gasket" doesn't mean much. Better description needed.

Engine looks clean to me. Sometimes better to leave well enough alone.

good luck

Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM

It was a loose bolt, the shop it was at last week when i had some cleaning done didn't reassemble the covers correctly.

But i take my car out to CB7 meets and Accord meets and i want a more presentable motor, its all black and the heat shield looks rusty. Im just wanting how to clean it up more efficiently than water ad Meguiar's Quick Detailer.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 PM

I thought about cleaning mine, but ended up just taking it to a detailing shop here. $20 and 30 minutes later it was done. First time it had been cleaned... ever!. Some parts are still rusty and gross looking, so when it gets warmer I'm going to use Naval Jelly on the rust and try to make it look decent.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

I've used things like Gunk Engine cleaner, simple green, ect to clean spots or sections of the engine bay before. Usually to find a source of a leak, or to clean up the area before fixing a leak....hate getting that stuff all over my hands, arms, ect.

Anyway, follow the directions on the cleaner you pick. Then gently wash the area. I use a garden hose without a sprayer, basically just running water.

So far, knock knock, I haven't had any issues.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

As far as a rusty heatshield or any other rusty part. You aren't really going to be able to clean that off. I would suggest taking the heat shield off, giving it a real good sand down and then painting it black or silver or whatever color you want. Make sure to use high heat paint.

As far as the rest it looks pretty clean, maybe just spot clean it with a spray bottle cleaner and some paper towels and a sponge.