Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

cleaning under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: cleaning under the hood

If you bring you're car in to get detailed they spray it down with a degreaser, pressure wash, and wipe down. All vehicles, brand new and old, with no problems.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:39 PM

FYI: I don't half *** things, I didn't want to buy degreaser if I didn't need it, nor did I want to spray my engine with chemicals unless I had to in order to get it clean - thus the reason I asked. There's absolutely no reason for you to be rude in response to an honest question.
You ask how to do it and are handed instructions from a couple of pros that do it for a living. Now admittedly there is no way you could know that but look at the picture dude!Then you say you don't want to go to the store to buy the very item you need the most. If that isn't half assed I don't know what is. Do it right or don't do it at all. If you use a degreaser that saves the planet or not I could not care less. TheFACT is that you need a degreaser to begin the process.....and guesswho is going to the store to buy some? YOU ARE! I havecleaned well over 100 engines and havesome idea of what I'm talking about, it is obvious that you do not. There's nothing worse than someone that wants to cut corners whenever they can and it sounds to me like you fall into that category. It would benefit you to state what car and engine you have also.

Best wishes on your engine cleaning. If you want it to look fantastic once it is dry spray it with CD-2engine dressing(Auto Zone) or Stoner's More Shine (Pep Boy's, Wal-Mart). If you have a distributor there are certain precautions to follow. If that is so and the car won't start after washing then pull off the distributor cap and spray the interior of it liberally with WD-40....WD stands for water displacement. It will immediately displace the moisture and the car will start. If you have coil on plug ignition there's no concern.

Best of luck and post some before and after pictures. All of us like to see a clean engine.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:15 PM

wet a rag but not too wet and just clean it. avoid electrical parts tho, or use seafoam.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:15 AM

Simple Green is a good degreaser then I use Hyper Dressing from Meguires.