Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Cleaning/washing engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Default Cleaning/washing engine compartment

I was really shocked to find out recently that it's relatively safe to pressure wash your engine compartment. I not sure if I still believe it or not...I mean, electrical components and water don't mix, right?

OK, when I get over my fear and actually wash my engine compartment out (on 98 Accord EX sedan), any tips or guidelines for systematically cleaning it...it's never been washed.

Steps, what products to use, how to properly rinse off, towel dry or not, etc...

I'll be using my garden hose too btw. I'm not going to use a pressure washer for the first time...ya know..the baby steps and all applies here.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Default RE: Cleaning/washing engine compartment

I've always been a big fan of simple green or just some sort of de-greaser. Just spray that on the engine, let it sit for a few minutes and wash it off. I would make sure that the air filter isn't going to get wet and I would probably cover the distributor as well. If it wasn't safe to pressure wash an engine how could they survive torrential downpours when you're driving... Garden hose should be fine, for really hard "gunk" you may want to get in there with a thowel of some sort...

Old 03-13-2006, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty If it wasn't safe to pressure wash an engine how could they survive torrential downpours when you're driving...
I have to be honest with you and say that I never gave it much thought. I just assumed at some point that electricity doesn't mix with water. Never considered the rain situation. That's why I was so shocked to hear about people using pressure washers on their engines. I mean my jaw really dropped!!!

Heck, I don't even use a pressure washer on the outside of the car.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:13 PM

Unless you have earlier model Accords ('96 or earlier), you have nothing to worry about. Most car engines before '96 or '97 aren't made to be washed with a pressure washer or really any kind of hose. Nothing serious will happen, but your spark plugs will definitely get wet which will make your car stall out most likely. Let them dry and you're good to go.

My advice is to just use a regular garden hose (no nozzle) and lightly spray down the engine. Wipe off any other crap with a towel and the sand and grit that doesn't wash away can be taken off with an industrial brush. Then obviously let the spark plugs dry out for an hour.

Sean

Old 03-13-2006, 06:20 PM

<Begin Debate>

So I've pressure washed a fair amount of car engines from all differnet years and never had a problem with the spark plugs. The only issue I ever ran into was some water in the distributor cap. I say cover the Distributor and You're good to go... That's my experience... Never had any issues with spark plugs...

<End Debate>

Old 03-14-2006, 12:31 AM

ORIGINAL: s_mackenzie10

Unless you have earlier model Accords ('96 or earlier), you have nothing to worry about. Most car engines before '96 or '97 aren't made to be washed with a pressure washer or really any kind of hose. Nothing serious will happen, but your spark plugs will definitely get wet which will make your car stall out most likely. Let them dry and you're good to go.

My advice is to just use a regular garden hose (no nozzle) and lightly spray down the engine. Wipe off any other crap with a towel and the sand and grit that doesn't wash away can be taken off with an industrial brush. Then obviously let the spark plugs dry out for an hour.

Sean
I have a 1998 EX-L sedan. What's the difference between the 98 and 97 that would be a concern?

Old 03-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I believe he was refering to pre 96/97 cars. But I would think he was talking about how well protected the engine bay is from water, seals and so on.