Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Painting plastic wheel covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Default Painting plastic wheel covers

Not surprisingly, all the plastic wheel covers on our car have a substantial amount of their original silver paint peeled off them. It's pretty noticeable and I think that this is the single most outstanding apperance issue on the car. (Considering their vulnerable location, I thinkHonda shouldhave useda plastic that was colored all the way through,rather than one that had apainted surface.)

I'mthinking aboutre-painting the wheel covers, but unlessthe paint isgoing to last at least a few years,it wouldn't make much sense. Maybe there are aftermarket wheel covers that will replace the originals for a reasonable price.

Has anyone re-painted their plastic wheel covers? What method do you recommend? How long didthe re-painted surfacestand up against the weather?

Are there reasonably priced plastic replacements available? (I don't want to buy mag wheels.)

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:25 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Painting plastic wheel covers

I think more of what matters when repainting wheel covers are surface preparation and the sealant/clear coat.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 PM

I would definately repaint the hubcaps. I work at a car lot and I do it all the time. Dupli-Color makes great wheel paint and clear coat that makes hubcaps look brand new. That's what I always use. Just make sure you sand the hubcaps first with 320 grit sandpaper and then 600 grit sandpaper. Clean the hubcaps with a towel before painting and then your ready. Here is a link to dupli-color wheel paint. It's sold in any parts store.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

Old 05-26-2007, 12:33 AM

Thanks very much for the suggestions, guys.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 PM

Should you use their primer when painting on the enamel? Which primer? (ecthing, filling, etc)

Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by inthedump
Should you use their primer when painting on the enamel? Which primer? (ecthing, filling, etc)

I know this is an old thread but I am curious to the answer on priming the cups first?

I have a 2006 Accord and after driving through a new carwash half the paint on all of my hubcaps were left inside the bay plus they did a good job with the the car wax spray and the hubcaps look like garbage. I am planning on sanding and painting them this weekend but wanted to hear any suggestions on what primer people have used (and outcomes) or if they just sprayed over the sanded caps

Thanks