Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Sticky center console

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Sticky center console

Anybody else have this problem. The whole console is very sticky. This is my 2nd accord and the first had the same problem. It is the area by the cup holder to the compartment for storage. ANY CHEMICLES WE CAN USE TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Only when my wife spills coffee or soda...

Wet cloth along with some cleaner like SimpleGreen diluted pretty watery. Then put some kinda plastic treatment stuff on it so it doesn't get too dried out.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It is not as simple as using a de-greaser. It is a defect in the center console.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

I don't get it. So the sticky stuff comes oozing out of the plastic itself? I guess I just never saw that.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 PM

pics?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

i've disassembled my center console many times, it is never "sticky". i assume you're referring to the 2001 LX for sale? And your console looks like this:

the trim ring around the shifter pops off. is it associated with that trim ring?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I googled the problem and came across several other honda accord owners with a simular problem. The whole console from the pocket under the raido throuth the cup holder door has a very sticky feel. It might be a chemical used in the past that deteriated the plastic? The are is where the wood kit pictured above it located. I guess I can buy a wood kit like the picture above to overlay the problem area.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

i sanded the wood kit and painted the center console trim (it's silver now). that would be cheaper than buying a kit.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I painted mine also and it's not sticky at all. I never really noticed before when it was wood trim. Not around the whole thing anyway, but more on the edges of the whole center panel. It would seem greasy and every little piece of dust or little chipped things would stick in it and look ugly. What I did was remove the panel and clean around the edges with some kinda cleaner, lemon clean, orange clean or something and it went away for awhile. Not sure if it would have lasted though, as I said earlier I ended up painting it.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I figured it out. It is because of our climate. We are in South Florida and the heat is really bad. It must have caused the plastic to get sticky. The interior of the car can reach temps of over 130 degrees in the summer time.

Quick Reply: Sticky center console