Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Things that have helped in exterior detailing

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Default Things that have helped in exterior detailing

In the last year, I stepped the game up to using two large 5 gallon buckets for washing and I use grit gaurds in bottom of buckets. I bought a white genuine sheepskin mitt which is good for showing when it picks up dirt. That 2nd bucket is for rinsing that mitt often. when I start washing near the lower panels, I know the mitt will pick up more dirt and I can see it.
No sense in dipping it back into the soapy water, must rinse mitt first.

Drying is going better. sure, take nozzle off and sheet water off, use a bit of electric leaf blower around the mirros and such.

Big thing that has helped is to use a spray wax while drying the car. Weird things happen when just trying to completely dry a car - get streaks, maybe tiny water spots or it just doesn't dry completely.

No prob anymore - drying towel is for getting bulk of water off a section. Once that is done, I set towel down, pick up spray wax and microfiber cloth - spray some wax on car and wipe it down. If will overspray, i just spray onto cloth.

Best thing is when I'm done, the shine just pops big time. Plus, there's more wax onto the paint which helps.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 PM

hey let me suggest that using laundry detergent greatly helps in geting a car clean, with road oils dirt and grime, less scratching, and shines much better than most auto cleaning detergent, id also suggest using a consentrate, as you will need less detergent. you will be surprised with the difference in effectivness

Old 05-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for the good information!

Old 06-29-2016, 12:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by frmrpriownr
In the last year, I stepped the game up to using two large 5 gallon buckets for washing and I use grit gaurds in bottom of buckets. I bought a white genuine sheepskin mitt which is good for showing when it picks up dirt. That 2nd bucket is for rinsing that mitt often. when I start washing near the lower panels, I know the mitt will pick up more dirt and I can see it.
No sense in dipping it back into the soapy water, must rinse mitt first.

Drying is going better. sure, take nozzle off and sheet water off, use a bit of electric leaf blower around the mirros and such.

Big thing that has helped is to use a spray wax while drying the car. Weird things happen when just trying to completely dry a car - get streaks, maybe tiny water spots or it just doesn't dry completely.

No prob anymore - drying towel is for getting bulk of water off a section. Once that is done, I set towel down, pick up spray wax and microfiber cloth - spray some wax on car and wipe it down. If will overspray, i just spray onto cloth.

Best thing is when I'm done, the shine just pops big time. Plus, there's more wax onto the paint which helps.
If you really wanna get your car super spotless is using clay bar. Takes a bit extra work but man it looks awesome by the time your done.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by phatboyslim2012
hey let me suggest that using laundry detergent greatly helps in geting a car clean, with road oils dirt and grime, less scratching, and shines much better than most auto cleaning detergent, id also suggest using a consentrate, as you will need less detergent. you will be surprised with the difference in effectivness
Just beware that it will also remove the wax protecting the car so be sure to wax it after.