Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1991 Honda Accord crank issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Angry 1991 Honda Accord crank issues

Whats up i have a 91 honda accord nice ride but the car wont crank, i have been troubleshooting, i can tell that the people before put a new engine in the car there are wires for miles lol horrible job atleaset make it look clean if your going to do a swap** had harmonic balance replaced and the timing has been checked mutiple times and everybody tells me its good to go but the car wont crank back up i have tried all the tricks i can and nothing works im checking all the wires again this wekend to see if thats the problem, but if the spark plugs are getting fire and there wet wtf can it be thats all thats needed to crank the car, and i really cant check the timing 100% if it wont crank. it just spins and wont fire up.

New Items i have replaced
-starter(new)
-Dist- has been checked replaced button and cap
-battery(good)
-new spark plugs and wires
- fuel pump is priming and i removed spark plugs after attempting and they are firing could it bee that some are not firing and thats the problem because that should be it and i searched for the vaccum lines because i found a random one and it gave me hope and soounded like it was going to crank but no love from the honda.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Some things to check:

Fuel pressure. Check for strong spray of fuel at banjo bolt on fuel rail or at fuel filter after turning keyswitch to On for 5 secs then off. If nothing or a dribble, fuel pump is not delivering or fuel is leaking out somewhere.

Do you hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 secs each time you turn keyswitch to On? If not, ignition switch assy, Main Fuel Relay or Fuel pump could be the problem.

W/ a timing light check for spark by attaching inductive spark pickup to each cylinder spark plug lead. No flash means no spark on spark plug.

Check engine compresssions. Should be at least 135 psi w/ < 20% variation between weakest and strongest cylinders.

good luck

Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

When you say it "won't crank" do you mean the starter doesn't spin the engine? If so, then it's got nothing to do with main-relay, spark, or even compression.

All of that stuff makes sense if it cranks but doesn't fire.