Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1996 Accord won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:34 AM
lysanxyj
Unregistered
Default 1996 Accord won't start

Help, plz.
96 accord couple. check engine light was on a couple of days ago, i took it to a local mechanic, he replaced the tube, fix the water temp(water temp sensor was broken long time ago). and somehow the check engine light was off. Then i drove it to airport to pick up my friend, after driving, like 20 miles on high way, check light turned on again, i didn't know what to do except keep driving, so...2 minutes later , the engine quited on the high way. everytime I turn the key to start, all i can hear is the starter clicking, nothing from engine.

I then took it to another mechanic who couldn't fix it. He mentioned the ECU and distributor thing, so I bought a used ECU, but obviously, it's not the ECU problem. He seemed working on distributor sometime, but no result.

Last week, I had to tow it to Honda dealer, after 2 days, they called and told me it was the ignition coil. So, I paid for one. But it turned out it wasnot the real problem. I've been calling them, however, they seem pretty busy and haven't checked on it then.

I think they should have checked all the main parts which could easily get broken, like fuel pump, computer. But they tell me that there is no fire....
so could it be something wrong with my ignition system or electrical problem, like wiring? I replaced the batter one month ago, cuz the old one was erroded and could power anything in the car, does this have anything to do with the problem?

I am so frustrated, luckily my college isn't so far from my apartment. But anyone has any idea what's going on with my car?

Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Default RE: 1996 Accord won't start

Interestingly enough something similar happened to me and the problem was a $5 battery wire clamp. I don't know if we're having the exact same symptoms but thats what happened to me. How is the electricity distribution? Lights dim? Radio Quiet? Could be alternator.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:27 AM

i just has the same problem with my car 2 days ago, myengine died on mewhile drivingand it had to be towed to the dealer... it wasan ignition coil failure...
anyway have youtired checking if there is any spark coming out plugsafter the coil was replaced?there is another option it may be the igniter ( notsureabout term) its the one giving electricity to the ignition coil. its located near the ignition coil

let me know

Old 02-03-2007, 02:45 AM

then if still nospark in the plugs have an automotive electrician check it, replacing the igniter is not really a d.i.y. thing ( major electrical components DANGER!)[:-]

Old 02-03-2007, 03:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: lysanxyj

Last week, I had to tow it to Honda dealer, after 2 days, they called and told me it was the ignition coil. So, I paid for one. But it turned out it wasnot the real problem. I've been calling them, however, they seem pretty busy and haven't checked on it then.
WHAT ??? thay called you after 2 days and said it was the coil..( wrong diagnose ) and now they are saying that they are too busy to chk on it ?? I would call them or better yet go there and jump on their you know what ....talk to the service manager and demand an answer

if the dealer told you the problem was the coil ,,if so ,,and you paid for it and it ws not the problem, tell them to give you money back ,,

Now the second time that the chk engine lite came on,, what was the code ?? have the dealer tell you the code and post it here,,
as for the clicking noise when you try starting the car,, could be a battery, loose or corroded battery cables, bad starter,, was the battery lite ever on while driving ?
if engine cranks but no start and plugs are not getting any spark could be a bad ignitor, they have to make sure that power is getting to the distributor