Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1996 Honda Accord Ex Sedan Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Default 1996 Honda Accord Ex Sedan Automatic

Can anyone out there provide some photos of the timing and accessory belt with signs of wearing out. I'm not sure of the mileage on my timing and accessory belt and water pump.

I noticed of leaking on my driveway. I recently went to a mechanic friend and he thinks it's the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket. He also pointed out that it's leaking from the oil filter as well. He told me that the oil filter is too small. He also suggested changing the belts, water pump, tune up, rotor, and plug wires. I'm debating whether or not i should put money into the car. To this point, I've spent over $1k into the brakes and suspension already. I'm nervous of finding out that the recommendations may not correct the problem and just cause more headache.

We are the second owner since 1998. At time of purchase it had 90k. Currently has over 200k. I would love to keep it on the road, but if it's time comes, then I just have to move on.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Timing belt every 90k miles, so regardless what happened before, you've put 110k miles on it.

For the oil leak, you can clean it up real good so it's easier to see where it's leaking from. Otherwise you can replace 100 different gaskets chasing it blindly. Valve cover & oil pan are popular places to leak, but not always.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah..your timing belt is overdue... also replace the balancer belt. afaik, there are two belts in there. Once your timing belt fail, it can destroy your engine and have more troubles.
Replace also all oil seals (cam and crank) in there.. these may be the cause of your oil leaks considering your oil pan gasket is still good. You may also want to replace the water pump and bearings since its already open to save on labor on reopening the assembly. After you've done that, it will be good for another 80K.
Good luck!