General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 automatic Honda Accord stalling when applying brakes or slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Default 1996 automatic Honda Accord stalling when applying brakes or slowing down

Dear All

I have a 1996 automatic honda accord which has recently started stalling and then stopping when i apply the brakes or when i slow down at give-way signs. On the highway it drives beautifully but its only when i have to slow down to near stopping speed then the idle speed suddenly drops and then it just stops. kind of reminiscent of a stick shift if you slow down and apply brakes without pressing on the clutch...that sudden stop that happens. Every time this happens i can start it with no glitches at all. If i let it idle it will not stall, its only when i start driving and revving it and then slow down and thats when it stalls. Please assist

Derek

Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 PM

sounds like your torque converter clutch is sticking... usually either a bad torque converter or a bad solenoid... i would advise going to a trans shop and having a diagnosis done by a professional... they will be able to tell you exactly what's wrong and advise you on what needs done as a temporary solution, you can slide the car into neutral when you come to a stop, should keep it from stalling. just make sure you are at idle when you go back into gear to avoid further damage to the transmission.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 AM

Thanks for your quick response 91excoupe. let me follow your advise and i i will get back to you. have a nice day

Originally Posted by 91excoupe
sounds like your torque converter clutch is sticking... usually either a bad torque converter or a bad solenoid... i would advise going to a trans shop and having a diagnosis done by a professional... they will be able to tell you exactly what's wrong and advise you on what needs done as a temporary solution, you can slide the car into neutral when you come to a stop, should keep it from stalling. just make sure you are at idle when you go back into gear to avoid further damage to the transmission.