Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1997 Honda Accord Spark Plug Cap pops out

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Default 1997 Honda Accord Spark Plug Cap pops out

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I know very little about cars. I have a problem with my 1997 Accord and I don't know what to do.

There are four spark plug connections (sorry, I don't know the proper terms for any of this; I'll do my best) in the engine. Yesterday when I went to start my car, I hear a popping sound and it would not start. I opened the hood and tried again. One of the spark plug caps and the whole tube (the third from the left) had completely popped out of the engine. It was still connected with the wire, but the tube that goes into the engine had shot out of the engine and the car would not start.

I'm a college student and I don't have much of a budget. I would like to have a basic understanding of the problem before I go to get it repaired so I don't get ripped off. I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone had advice about the problem. My car overheated a few months ago but my mechanic supposedly repaired it and it ran well for a month. I'm hoping it's not something major related to that incident.

Thanks so much,
Zach Castle

Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Supper Moderator

make sure that the spark plug is tight on that cyl where the wire pops out of the valve cover. If not tight the pressure from that cyl will make the spark plug wire shot out of the head.