Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2.2 vs. 2.7 Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Default RE: 2.2 vs. 2.7 Worth It?

I notice you have the same JDM corner lights as i do, how much did you pay for those?

Old 12-16-2007, 04:01 PM

valdeez is right. i have a 2.7 as well and there are zero mods available unless you custom fab

Old 12-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Okay, [sm=dontgetit.gif], if you want to beat this guy's nova with "rice" forget the accord. Get something that's actually a little more rice and a little less family. You can get a CRX drop a 'lude engine in and be running pretty damn fast with the right tires. Not enough to beat the Nova still? Beef the internals a bit and throw some nitrous at it. You'll get it then. Or grab a used 300zx twin turbo for 8500 bucks and go at him then. Those things ran almost 12s bone stock. Just go get a tune up and smoke his ***.

The deal with that Nova is he's going to have an issue hooking up if he's running street tires, the things going to have so much torque he'll be halfway through the tread on em before he even gets moving, now lets hope he's a little smarter than this and doesn't launch at red line, he's still going to have issues hooking up regardless.

The quickest car in my area for a honda is a civic hatch back with a ls/gsr hybrid with a t3/t4 turbo, built, sleeved, polished, the whole bit. He runs an 11.3. That's pretty quick. However, our buddy has a 350z with a 75 shot and smokes him every time. And that 350 weighs a ton more. Of course, that 350 gets its *** handed to it every time it races against the Porche 911 twin turbo that the owner of the local speed shop races. He's running a 10.3 OUCH! that car is quick.

anyways, the accord is more than likely NEVER going to beat this nova unless the nova throws a rod off the line, and even then the initial torque is probably going to hurl it over the finish line 12 car lengths in front of the accord. I'm not saying that the accord could never beat it but, there is a lot more "rice" out there that would be easier to do it in. How bout a 240 with a rb26dett? Or an old school 280 with a 350 conversion swap and a 383 stroker kit. That will kick the crap out of that nova!

Still loving my accord because it looks nice

Old 12-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

ORIGINAL: falkore24

no accord will do 10 seconds! too much wind resistance! with the nitrous, the weakest point is the piston since it will be getting hit with cutting torch heat ..... wet systems keep this to a lower temp, but still very hot. If you use forged internals, a low compression piston and tack weld in a block guard, you will be able to run a good race. You will also need poly engine mounts, 2 torsion dampers and a launch style linear spring suspension. A CF hood and trunk would help a little, and electronics are a must .... ZEX plugs only b/c the ignition system that you will need will burn off an iridium tip. What else ..... E-Manage, MSD or Jacobs (with launch control), one of those specialized nitrous controllers with WOT and window switches that vary by gear .... nice project!!!
A lot of that is overkill and not explained very well.
Thanks for noticing. Given that this will never happen, I didn't feel the need for in depth explanation. Also, since this whole thread is about a race that will require "over-kill" mods to even be called a race, the over-kill parts fit well. That said, what parts don't you agree with .... the $30 plugs???

Old 12-20-2007, 12:15 AM
wingedwonder69
Unregistered

ok the main thisg here is that if you want to run a turbo and nitrous you will first need to weld supports in the space between the block and the cylinder sleeve caus if you don't that sleeve will wander and you could have issues, that is if you are set on sticking with the f22 motor. the best option and maby the cheapest would be to order a jdm motor for an early 90's body style accord sir-t with an ecu. The sir-t motor that came in those was a turbo 2.3L. of course you will need to upgrade the turbo on the new motor as well as an intercoller. that could be enough right there, but who knows i could be drunk!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:48 AM

The only way...and I mean ONLY way an accord will be a 10 second car is if it was changed into a fully built race car and converted to a RWD.
Regardless of how much power you put into a FWD car, it's main problem is gonna be the launch. When you launch a car weight is transferred to the rear of the vehicle which lightens the front. That produces less traction.

BUT
If you want a pretty impressive Accord
Swap in a H23 (NON VTEC)
Turbo
60-80 shot of spray.

That would equate to about 350+ HP

Old 12-21-2007, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

That said, what parts don't you agree with

So far...just about every response I've read. The 2 above me are quite hilarious. I could go in depth about them if you (or anyone else) would like.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Go into whatever depth pleases you.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 AM

ORIGINAL: wingedwonder69

ok the main thisg here is that if you want to run a turbo and nitrous you will first need to weld supports in the space between the block and the cylinder sleeve caus if you don't that sleeve will wander and you could have issues, that is if you are set on sticking with the f22 motor. the best option and maby the cheapest would be to order a jdm motor for an early 90's body style accord sir-t with an ecu. The sir-t motor that came in those was a turbo 2.3L. of course you will need to upgrade the turbo on the new motor as well as an intercoller. that could be enough right there, but who knows i could be drunk!!!!!!

Everything there is so wrong I hope you were completely drunk when you typed that.

ORIGINAL : blacknight07644

The only way...and I mean ONLY way an accord will be a 10 second car is if it was changed into a fully built race car and converted to a RWD.
Regardless of how much power you put into a FWD car, it's main problem is gonna be the launch. When you launch a car weight is transferred to the rear of the vehicle which lightens the front. That produces less traction.

BUT
If you want a pretty impressive Accord
Swap in a H23 (NON VTEC)
Turbo
60-80 shot of spray.

That would equate to about 350+ HP
If civic's, teg's, and DSM's can all run FWD and into 10's and 9's, there's no reason an accord couldn't. Of course it'd be a fully built race car, why else would we be talking about this? There's ways around weight transfer, every heard of dragcoilovers, stiffer engine mounts, traction bars?AFWD car's main problem with launching for drag racing is wheel hop.

Look at every single civic and integra that drag races (not professionals) and look at their setup. All it takes is for accord owners to essentially copy what they're already doing and have been doing and adapt it to the accord chassis's. The only thing that's a real difference is that we need more power than they do.

Dry system - Injects nitrous ONLY. Nozzle(s) mounted in your intake. Relies on your own fuel system to supply enough fuel to compensate for the added o2. If it doesn't add enough fuel, thats how you melt a piston, its called detonation.

Wet system - Injects nitrous and fuel together. Properly matched fuel and nitrous jets in the nozzle(s) mountedin the intake. Safest way to run nitrous for the street.

Direct port - Individually placed nozzles in each intake runner inject both nitrous and fuel for each cylinder. Basically a wet system for each cylinder.Creates the most power.

Window switches allow those with an automatic a safer way to run nitrous, it momentarily shuts off the nitrous when the transmission is going to shift gears so that you're not spraying during shifts. That's how you blow your transmission.

Low compression pistons should only be used if you're running boost or a combination of boost and nitrous. Nitrous by itself works best with high compression. Think I'm wrong? Look at any v8 dragster. High compressionand nitrous.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:08 AM

What you said is true, but weight plays a huge factor
Simply put, the Accord is a much heavier car than civics and tegs.

Quick Reply: 2.2 vs. 2.7 Worth It?