Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2008 Accord Noise on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Default 2008 Accord Noise on Acceleration

Hi guys,

I'm having this issue with my Accord (4 door, 4cyl automatic), and I've been extensively searching for answers, but I can't seem to find a post that duplicates my problem exactly.

Here's the scenario:

Off a cold start (car been sitting idle for 8-12 hrs). Turn it on, let it warm up for a couple of minutes, back out of my driveway, and start driving.

As soon as I hit 1500-2000rpm on first gear (and right before it shifts to second), I hear a vibrating/grinding sound (I've attached a soundclip, around the 3 second mark. The sound is pretty tame at the time of recording, sometimes its been louder/longer). Here's the tricky part though, after driving for about 3-5 minutes, I wont be able to duplicate this sound. It will not come back until the car is cooled down for about 4+ hrs, and it happens again.

Outside temp doesn't seem to be a factor, because it's done this when its 10C and when its been 25C.

I can't duplicate this sound while the car is in park/neutral and reving up. It only does it when I'm driving.

I've gone under the car and banged around the heatshield and cat, couldn't find anything (albeit I should have tried tightening the heatshield screws, they didn't seem loose though)

The sound is more distinguishable with the windows closed as oppose to open (probably because there's a lot of background noise when you open the windows) and the sound seems to be coming from the front, not the back.

Any insight as to what's happening would be greatly appreciated, I'm completely stumped..Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: zip
sound1.zip (87.9 KB, 721 views)
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Default Did you ever figure this out I had same problem

Did you ever figure this out I had same problem
Originally Posted by Blodia
Hi guys,

I'm having this issue with my Accord (4 door, 4cyl automatic), and I've been extensively searching for answers, but I can't seem to find a post that duplicates my problem exactly.

Here's the scenario:

Off a cold start (car been sitting idle for 8-12 hrs). Turn it on, let it warm up for a couple of minutes, back out of my driveway, and start driving.

As soon as I hit 1500-2000rpm on first gear (and right before it shifts to second), I hear a vibrating/grinding sound (I've attached a soundclip, around the 3 second mark. The sound is pretty tame at the time of recording, sometimes its been louder/longer). Here's the tricky part though, after driving for about 3-5 minutes, I wont be able to duplicate this sound. It will not come back until the car is cooled down for about 4+ hrs, and it happens again.

Outside temp doesn't seem to be a factor, because it's done this when its 10C and when its been 25C.

I can't duplicate this sound while the car is in park/neutral and reving up. It only does it when I'm driving.

I've gone under the car and banged around the heatshield and cat, couldn't find anything (albeit I should have tried tightening the heatshield screws, they didn't seem loose though)

The sound is more distinguishable with the windows closed as oppose to open (probably because there's a lot of background noise when you open the windows) and the sound seems to be coming from the front, not the back.

Any insight as to what's happening would be greatly appreciated, I'm completely stumped..Thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 AM

Same thing is happening to my 2009 4 cyl. Seemed to start after a long trip over the mountains. Hope it is not the transmission. 76K miles.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Our 2005 CR-V does the same thing. When I start to drive it after it has been sitting for a while, it does what sounds like that grinding noise for the very first gear shift, then it won't do it again.

That has been happening for quite some time/quite a few thousands of miles ago, and the transmission seems just fine. I would not worry about it unless the transmission was slipping.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:07 PM

Blodia Can you post a reply if you found out what your problem was, or identify it, as we are having the identical symptoms as what you described. Thank you mminder.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Location: Palm Harbor, Florida (34683) now; originally from Arizona.

Bump, almost 10 years after the most-recent previous reply.

So, I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L (4-cylinder - with around 185,000 miles on it) and I've been having the same issue, with regards to a vibration sound, when accelerating at low speeds. I had the same problem, a few months back, and I had stopped by a local mechanic shop, for some other reason, when they told me that my car was low on oil, and they added some oil for me. At the time, my 'Oil Life' dashboard indicator was still showing a good oil life percentage, and it hadn't been too long, since I'd last had the oil changed. After they added some oil to my engine, though, the noise stopped, which led me to believe that this vibrating sound was happening because my car was low on oil.

Well, here I am, a few months later, in August of 2022, and the vibration sound has returned. My 'Oil Life' indicator in my dashboard is showing that it is currently at 60% and it's only been around 3,000-3,500 miles, since my last oil change, which isn't unreasonable, as far as I'm aware of. So, it would seem that my car's engine is burning oil and that it's getting low again, which is why the vibration noise has been happening.

So, I wanted to ask and see if any of y'all had any updates on your situations? Specifically, if any of you could confirm that your vibration noise was being caused from your engine being low on oil/being in need of an oil change? And if I am correct about this, and my Accord's engine is low on oil, and it is burning oil at a faster rate, is this potentially a major concern? Or, is it not unreasonable, for a 2008 vehicle (which is almost 15 years-old), with around 185,000 miles on it, to be burning oil more rapidly than it used to?

Also, I'm going to go out and check my oil level, after I post this. Assuming that it is low on oil (which, I'm almost certain, is going to be the case), should I just buy a quart, or two, of oil and add it to my engine? Or should I try to get an oil change ASAP? Considering that the 'Oil Life' is still showing as having 60%, and that it's only been around 3,500 miles, since my last oil change, I'm not sure what do to.

If anyone sees this comment and would like to reply and share some feedback, some helpful replies would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by AzAssassin
Bump, almost 10 years after the most-recent previous reply.

So, I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L (4-cylinder - with around 185,000 miles on it) and I've been having the same issue, with regards to a vibration sound, when accelerating at low speeds. I had the same problem, a few months back, and I had stopped by a local mechanic shop, for some other reason, when they told me that my car was low on oil, and they added some oil for me. At the time, my 'Oil Life' dashboard indicator was still showing a good oil life percentage, and it hadn't been too long, since I'd last had the oil changed. After they added some oil to my engine, though, the noise stopped, which led me to believe that this vibrating sound was happening because my car was low on oil.

Well, here I am, a few months later, in August of 2022, and the vibration sound has returned. My 'Oil Life' indicator in my dashboard is showing that it is currently at 60% and it's only been around 3,000-3,500 miles, since my last oil change, which isn't unreasonable, as far as I'm aware of. So, it would seem that my car's engine is burning oil and that it's getting low again, which is why the vibration noise has been happening.

So, I wanted to ask and see if any of y'all had any updates on your situations? Specifically, if any of you could confirm that your vibration noise was being caused from your engine being low on oil/being in need of an oil change? And if I am correct about this, and my Accord's engine is low on oil, and it is burning oil at a faster rate, is this potentially a major concern? Or, is it not unreasonable, for a 2008 vehicle (which is almost 15 years-old), with around 185,000 miles on it, to be burning oil more rapidly than it used to?

Also, I'm going to go out and check my oil level, after I post this. Assuming that it is low on oil (which, I'm almost certain, is going to be the case), should I just buy a quart, or two, of oil and add it to my engine? Or should I try to get an oil change ASAP? Considering that the 'Oil Life' is still showing as having 60%, and that it's only been around 3,500 miles, since my last oil change, I'm not sure what do to.

If anyone sees this comment and would like to reply and share some feedback, some helpful replies would be greatly appreciated.
This generation of accords actually had a class action lawsuit against them due to the massive oil consumption. Piston rings wear faster than usual causing the engine to eat oil. I'm at 162k miles and go through a quart every 1k or so. Also, just keep an eye on the oil level. I go for a full change every 3500 or so and have to add 2 quarts in between depending on driving conditions. And the oil life indicator means absolutely nothing. They aren't an accurate depiction of you oil condition.

Last edited by Sthc241; 09-04-2022 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Add more detail