Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2008 EX-L 4 Cly Manual...Why Not??

Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 2008 EX-L 4 Cly Manual...Why Not??

To be quite honest, my 95 is stable all the way up to 115 MPH and handles great so I'm sure the '08s will do just fine.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:00 PM

I said ONE of the oldest now[sm=insomnia.gif] but I believe there is one morehere that has us both beat.

I've never gone for any automotive extended warranty regardless of price andhave never been caught with my pants downhaving to endurea catastrophic failure. It does take a rocket scientist to figure out what really is covered when you have a claim so I decline. Perhaps I've just been fortunate so far.

I wouldn't judge the torque (or lack therof) tooharshlyuntil you've driven the car for a while and gone through break in. Also coming from a T5, well, you're going to have to settle for less thanwhat you've been used to in this case. The four banger loves to rev so don't let Dad's rantings of yesteryear remove the pleasure of romping onthe 2.4l when it is needed/required.......or just for the hell of it.

Modifications to increase low end torque? It is unknown at this time what will fit much lessbe CARB approved, the '08 is just too new. They will likely come along or some tricksfrom the 7th generation may work...too early to tell. I will say this though....a cold air intake is for mid & upper RPM improvement. Maybe a shorty ram when/if the time comes. Underdrive pulleys, TSX intake manifold, exhaust header, and on and on. Will they be available for the '08 anytime soon? Flip a coin....nobody really knows.

It sounds to me like the dealer is being reasonable in their pricing. Many are going the opposite direction and doing a dealer add on to MSRP.

GO FOR IT!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:19 PM

Tom,

Assuming you get the car I suggest you change to a 0W20 synthetic oil when your first change comes about. I'm saying this due to the tropical climate you have become used to where you live. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: RTexasF
I wouldn't judge the torque (or lack therof) too harshly until you've driven the car for a while and gone through break in. Also coming from a T5, well, you're going to have to settle for less than what you've been used to in this case. The four banger loves to rev so don't let Dad's rantings of yesteryear remove the pleasure of romping on the 2.4l when it is needed/required.......or just for the hell of it.
Remember to take it easy for the first 600 miles or so during the break in period. Try not to go over 4000 RPM or whatever the number is now in the manual.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

the hybrid V6 acually dropps out the rear 3 cylinders when highway cruising up to about 70mph
Thanks, I stand corrected but my point was it is not brand new technology for the 2008 V-6. It may be new to the 3.5l but it was developed in the 3.0l.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Dealer just called...deal OK at $500 over "invoice". Now he needs to try and find a Basque Red Pearl/4 cyl/no navi! The dealer is very large and I am hopeing they have the network and "clout" to find what we want>

I am just as enthused about this 4cyl as I was about my 246HP turbo Volvo. I want it to be a ffine road machine...and will add aftermarket suspension/tires IF I find that required.

BTW...coupe has a 15mm rear sway and 27.2mm front sway. The EX-l sedan 4cyl has 13mm rear and 26.5mm front. Wonder if changing the rear sway might make sense right away??? I think this is an inexpensive option? What about front increase form 26.5mm to 27.2mm? Also, anyone know if the coupe swaybars work on the sedan...both 2008 models??

Thanks for the input and info...Tom R

Old 12-13-2007, 03:13 PM

Mine came with a 14mm rear and I went to 17. A marked difference in handling indeed. The 13 to a 15 should improve matters but you'll need to get with your dealership parts guy (or someone there with knowledge) to see if they are interchangable.

Changing out the front is very labor intensive, it's nothing like doing the rear at all. Point being it may not be worth the expense of dealing with it. You might want to check into a tower strut brace to help stabilize the front chasis. That might exchange from a V-6 coupe but you'll need to check. In my case it came from (only) a V-6 six speed coupe and was a direct bolt up after removing the two small braces that were there initially. '08 will require research on your part. You can see the strutbrace (and other things)by clicking on photo gallery at the top of this page. Once there click on HAF Member gallery. Yours truly is the first to appear leaning against the trunk of my car. All pics will enlarge when clicked on.

$500 over sounds like a very reasonable deal, I hope they can find you "the" one pronto.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:21 PM

I have the salesman checking with his service people to see if the rear is interchangeable.

The sales brochure indicates a Front Shock Tower Bar for all but the LX/LX-P models. I saw this when I looked under the hood...it was a very heavyduty bar that spanned the engine compartment from shock to shock...I think. Kind of like a large sway bar on top in the engine compartment. Is this the shock tower brace you are referring to?...or is there an upgrade? The one there looked quite sturdy...between 1/2" and 1" in diameter.

No call yet that they can find my color. Sure are not many 5spds around!..Tom R

Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM

That is the brace I was describing that was not standard on the 7th generation sedans. Glad to hear it is standard on the new EX +sedans. There is no need to upgrade it.....plenty stout.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 PM

the service that you are talking about, is that an extended care plan where all your oil changes etc. are pre-paid or an extended warranty?

I think extended care plans are awesome since you can finance them in if you buy it at the time of purchase, buying it from the dealer vs. over the internet is a wise decision since it gets you established with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 EX-L 4 Cly Manual...Why Not??