2018 Accord EX Sedan (1.5L) - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:19 AM

Default 2018 Accord EX Sedan (1.5L)

Good morning!!

I have a 2018 Accord EX sedan that I bought back in early March. I just turned 2,500 miles on it. My "oil life monitor" says that I still have 80 percent remaining. Mathematically, that means I should go more than 10,000 miles before my first oil change. That seems extremely long to me and I have always changed my motor oil between 3,500 and 5,000 miles (Mobil-1) in every vehicle I have owned. (Yes, I know I could go longer - but it is a 'peace of mind' thing to me.)

I originally intended to do the "break in" oil change at 3,500 miles (perhaps sooner) before I take a very long trip with the car this summer. I would then - using Mobil-1 full synthetic oil - change it about every 5,000 miles thereafter. My driving is about 60 percent highway and 40 percent local and I do not drive the car extremely hard or anything like that. My car has the 1.5L turbocharged 4-cyl engine with the CVT automatic.

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Does Honda use full-synthetic oil from the factory? I almost always do my own oil changes, but am considering having the dealership do the first one - and give the car a "once over" to ensure everything is A-OK with it.

Thanks very much for any replies or comments!!

P.S. Does this car have a timing belt that needs to be changed at 60k or does it have a chain (like NIssan) that doesn't need to be changed?
Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Your engine has a chain. There's some history of chain problems associated with oil LEVEL getting low (back around 2003-ish model years). Some people think the oil monitor means they never have to look at the dipstick. Oil life and oil inventory are completely different things...

I think you might struggle to convince your dealer to do the first oil change that early. They like to keep the assembly lubes & greases in there for the full interval.

It may not call for "synthetic" but your car probably calls for 0w-20 oil which doesn't seem to exist in anything but full-synthetic.

I've had a couple Hondas with their oil life monitors, and I've had oil analyzed to convince myself that Honda does a pretty good job with calculating the oil life. Those cars weren't turbos, but I'm inclined to go with their oil-life monitor.