Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

snapped bolt off in engine block please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:57 AM
Red face snapped bolt off in engine block please help

I was changing the starter on my '98 Accord V6, and long story short I broke off the bottom bolt.

I am curious as to the ramifications of leaving it like this; attached with only one bolt.

any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance,

Kevin

Old 05-29-2018, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't leave it like this, attached with only 1 bolt.

I haven't had a V-6, so I can only presume that access is difficult to remove the end of the bolt.

Had a similar problem with an alternator bracket a long time ago (not a Honda) and I really mucked it up. I tried to drill a hole in the bolt so I could use an easy-out, but the drill bit kept walking off sideways & I ended up damaging the block. (I'm presuming there isn't enough remaining bolt that you can grab??

So take your time fixturing a drill so it stays centered. Got a dremel-tool or some way to prepare the fractured face of the bolt to help the drill stay centered? You might want to try to find a left-handed drill bit (hard to find but they do exist). That way the action of the drill itself might back the bolt out.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It appears that you would only have friction of single bolt clamping to resist rotational forces on starter engagement and release. Ii would not trust a single bolt.

However if starter end engages positively (overlapping) w/ opening in bell housing then you have something to resist starter torsion and a single bolt should work. I could not discern from shop manual whether starter positively engages bell housing.

Best way to remove broken stub is to weld a nut to remaining end, even if broken flush w/ block. See videos on exhaust manifold replacement by South Main Auto and Robinsons Auto on youtube.

good luck

Old 06-30-2018, 05:01 AM

Most people don't have welding skills. Another way is to use a bolt extractor.

You will drill a hole into the center of the bolt using a drill bit that is slightly smaller in diameter than the extractor. You will tap the extractor into the hole and after a bit of going in, when it bottoms out you can then start pulling the bolt out with a ratchet since the extractor is righty loosey, lefty tighty, unlike the bolt

Last edited by holmesnmanny; 07-02-2018 at 06:23 AM.