Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

At 5000 rpm it idles... Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Unhappy At 5000 rpm it idles... Transmission?

Hi,

4 years ago I got this Accord 97 EXR 4 cil, 2.2lt, automatic. When I got it, the previous owner told me he had just changed the transission (at about 120,000 kms); he showed me the Honda invoice (US $1,700 for a new tranny). Everything was ok... was a goog cared car. I liked it to run as fast as 190 kms/h and felt very good in every sense; good mpg, etc.
I just purchased a Grand Cherokee 2002 recently because I like to go to mountain, yet I was not sure if I wanted to sell the Accord, since for the city mpg was ok, and for running at highway was fun.
When I was about deciding to sell it, I noticed the "D" signal of the transmission was flashing. I took it to the Honda Dealer and they told be it was a speed sensor in the transmission that had to be changed; it cost me about US $300. I ran the car and the "D" did not flashed any more; yet I noticed, specially on highway that when I pusshed the gas pedal to full, rpm went up to 5,000 and then no more, and did not changed the speed. If I relseased a bit the pedal, shift was done to the next speed. Yet was not certainly normal, since it used to go up to 6,500 or 7,000 rpm and then automatically did the change... and you could feel the power at those high rpms. Now it feel slugish at 5,000rpm... can't feel the power.
I took the car back to the Honda workshop... they had it there for 3 weeks and told me the transmission had a problem because natural use and time. I told them it was just changed by the previous owner, and I ran it about 60,000 kms since it was changed... so it was wired. To have it fixed they had to take off the whole transmission and check what precisely the problem was... and that was too pricy, considering I was about to sell the car.

Could it be really the transmission? this 97 car in Mexico costs now about US $3,000 dollars... and if the fix is expensive I rather sell it ... If it was running ok, or the fix was not pricy, I'd keep it for a while... just for the fun of running as it did before, and fuel economy....

What is your recomendation, tips? is it really the transmission, or could be something else or more simple?

Thank you

Old 12-11-2011, 10:29 AM

I'd appreciate any comment or help on this post please?