Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

78 Accord engine swaps/upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 04:13 PM
snipepod
Unregistered
Default 78 Accord engine swaps/upgrades?

I have come into possession of a 1978 Accord, CVCC engine, with an excellent body and interior. Hope to turn it into a nice car for my daughter.

My questions are about engine options, upgrades, etc.

My CVCC engine has zero compression in cyl 3&4. Probably stuck valves from sitting for 10 years. I pulled the engine, and was a bit miffed at the 2-exhaust port-coffee can exhaust header design. I also was miffed that it was impossible to remove the intake/exhaust manifold off with out having the engine on a engine stand (unable to reach two lower mounting nuts without having engine upside down). I quickly learned that for a small 4 cyl engine, this is not an easy engine to work on. . I also was miffed at the complexity of the 3-barrel carb with the multiple of vacuum tubes and vacuum delay valves.

The engine is an EF1 CVCC.

Question 1. Can the normal 2valve head from the same era (late 70s) be bolted up to the EF1 block? I am thinking about a Weber carb replacement. If so, do these 2 valve heads also have the 2-port exhaust manifold design or are the a more modern 4 port design?

Question 2. Can I swap in a more modern engine, like a cross flow 4-valve head design from a newer Prelude or Accord that will bold up to my tranny? But not have to go fuel injection.

Question 3. From what information I could gather, the EK1 engines from the late 70s-mid 80s were 4-valve, can they be swapped in, and what are the issues.

Thanks for any help.