Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

94 Honda Accord Releasing White Exhaust Smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Default 94 Honda Accord Releasing White Exhaust Smoke...

Alright so the other day (Thursday) I bought a 1994 Honda Accord 4 door EX from the dealership and drove it around for a couple hours that night and then decided to change the spark plugs cause it was running rough... anyways they had B18 spark plug wires in the engine (too big) and couldn't get out the spark plugs so I took it to Pep Boys and got them to do it so I didn't break a plug. Anyways the drive there was rough but when I got the correct plugs and wires the car drove amazing... drove it for about 2 hours after that and got to my house and let it sit for about 10 minutes (engine stayed cool whole time even when I got to my house.)

Anyways I crank it up 10 minutes later and its puffing white smoke... and the temp gauge got almost in the red (probably about 3/4) so i backed it up and parked it. Now last night I drove it after it was cooled off around the block and warmed it up and it got to the middle on the temp but not hot and it was still smoking when I got home (2 mile round trip). This morning I took it down the road to gas station (4 mile round trip) and no smoke or anything...

It smells like its burning too much gas because I went threw a tank in less than 24 hours but anyways I think it may be the head gasket but not positive because someone said if you put a $1 bill by your exhaust it should almost suck it in and rip it but its still blowing out. Anyone had this type of experience with their older accord? I am new and just trying to figure out the problems with this car... guess the dealership sold me a lemon but at least it still drives.

Oh BTW my names David... that is my introduction

Old 09-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of dealership did you get this from? I ask only to be sure there is a warranty or something if needed.

One of the best ways to test for a bad head gasket is by doing a leak down test, IMO. I've seen them at different places for ~$30.

EDIT: Forgot, Welcome to HAF....

Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 PM

I purchased the vehicle at Baldwin Automotive in Greenville, SC. They said as-is no warranty but at least 3 different people have said that there is a lemon law relating to vehicles purchased even used... when this place is trying to say there isn't one unless its on new motor vehicles.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'd google "lemon law" for your state. The laws will differ. Why take someone's word for it when you can probably read all about it on your state's govt website?