Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

98 honda intermittenly won't start/ turnover

Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Default 98 honda intermittenly won't start/ turnover

I have heard that Hondas have had a lot of ignition problems, so I thought that I would find more threads on the subject. I have a '98 6cyl V-Tec accord. A while back, I tried to crank car, and nothing happened. Accessories all came on, but it would not turn over. There was no clicking, or anything to hint to a certain issue. After about 6 or 7 turns, it finally cranked right up, like nothing had happened. over time, it got worse. some times I would have to wait 10 minutes or so, It did seem like this occurred on hotter days. Then, for a year or two, nothing was wrong. Then again, one day it wouldn't start, and this would happen very randomly. Sometimes no issues for months, then one day it would happen, then again months with no issues. It recently happened again after moving to Las Vegas. Now, it won't crank at all, but all of the accessories come right on. There is a recall for an ignition switch, and I have heard of master relay, and ignition relay issues?? I have the master relay out, and there are no signs of obvious failure. Any one have any experience with these issues?? Thank you.

Ghengis
1998 Accord
EX V6 Automatic Sedan 3.0
Vtec engine

Old 06-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Master Fuel Relay does not control starter. If your starter is failing to engage, it could be ignition switch or more likely starter solenoid contacts failing to close enough to power starter.

To diagnose, you will need to remove the blk/wht small wire connector at the starter and check for 12V when ignition switch is turned to Start position.

If no voltage, then ignition switch is faulty, or if 12V present on blk/wht wire the starter solenoid is faulty. New starter is fix. Starter replacement doesn't look to bad as DIY project.

good luck

Old 06-29-2014, 11:41 AM

There is a recall on the ignition switch, I believe, for this year and model. Could that be the issue? I am a little short on tools and a lot short on money, as a full time student right now, so I would much rather have a recall than a starter, be the issue.
Thanks for your reply!

Ghengis
1998 Accord
EX V6 Automatic Sedan 3.0
Vtec engine

Last edited by GhengisFong; 06-29-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: forgot to sign
Old 06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You will need to check w/ a Honda service center.

good luck