General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Start, No Turnover Accord 95

Old 05-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Default No Start, No Turnover Accord 95

Huh! Another one for my Honda accord 95 EXI 2.2Lt Auto Trans

Here are the scenario

1. you put the key in the ignition
2. Position I ok
3. Position II (lights comes on, CEL comes on, fuel pump humming noise, CEL turns off in 2 seconds)
4. Position III , here is the problem, JUST clicks. i hear a click may be engine area, but no starter motor turn, no crack nothing. after 5/6 attempts car starts fine

Hints:
1. One year ago a mechanic replaced ignition switch, brand new one
2. When i bought the car, previous owner didn't give original key of the car, Key i use a cheap duplicate

Please help where to look for the issue

Main relay? Ignition switch?

Very best regards

Old 05-14-2015, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

You can get an OEM key cut at the dealership for pretty cheap. On my 95 accord it was around $10. EDIT: They will cut a key based on your VIN. This doesn't sound like your problem, since the key is turning the lock cylinder.

The click from the engine bay is likely the starter solenoid closing, but not making contact. You can try the "caveman" test where you have someone hold the key in the III position and hit the starter to see if works.

The copper contacts and the plunger can be replaced. I bought mine on Ebay many years ago to fix the same issue you are having. Just search accord starter solenoid rebuild to find one.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 PM

Thanks PA
I will look for the solenoid and try to clean the contacts
would it be hard to change soldeniod if needed?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'd start by doing the caveman test.

I just remembered that my accord was a manual transmission where I could replace the contacts. I don't think this can be done on an automatic starter.

Cleaning the contacts probably won't help, because the copper pad gets worn down where the plunger hits over time. Eventually, it gets worn to a point where the copper ring on the plunger doesn't make contact.

The information below is what I did for my manual transmission starter. This is for information purposes, because I am not sure how your starter is setup. You may want to inspect before buying parts that may not work.

If you are going to remove the starter and take off the cover for the solenoid, you only have a few more steps to replace the contacts. Below is a video on how to do the repair.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Just looked up some parts diagrams. The automatic starter was made by Mitsuba, so these Denso parts will not work. Maybe someone can chime in on how this repair can be done on a starter for an automatic transmission.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 PM

Thanks PA for your kind input

Someone, please raise your hand...

Old 05-15-2015, 06:22 AM

Manually jump the starter with the key in the on position in the car in neutral if it's a manual or in park if it is an auto. If the car starts then you know it is not the key and ignition switch. If it does not start and the starter does not engage then it is the starter. I have describe the process of jump the start in several other threads.